Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

If you are a divorced mom.....

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 40 Replies
Did you keep your married name after you divorced? Why or why not? Decisions, decisions.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidlover2
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I kept my married name because my children had gone through so much crap and upheaval that they were really upset about me having a different name than them. It's just a name. I didn't care.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I was planning to because I figured it would be easier having the same last name as the kids. After he remarried my best friend I changed my name back to my maiden name. I did not want to be associated with such trash.

tiredalways
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I kept my married name because of the kids. After he got married to his whore she was mad that I kept the name

but I thought it was funny.

shelley11709
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I am debating this right now. We haven't started the divorce process yet but it is not far off.

The only draw to keeping my last name the same is to have the same last name as my son. But he is two and doesn't even know what a last name is so he won't know any different.

I want to go back to my maiden name because I feel like I lost a lot of who I was to make my marriage work. Going back to my maiden feels like I am taking myself, my voice, and my hopes and dreams back.

That and my maiden name is just cooler! Lol
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I kept mine simply because I had been going with my married name for 26 years and my business associates know me with that last name.  It also saved on business cards. 

idunno1234
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

The day it was final, the judge asked me one last time if I wanted to go back to my maiden name.   I said, I kind of did but I wasn't sure if I wanted to complicate matters for my kids plus I admitted to being lazy and not really wanting to deal with all the other stuff, like license and ss name change yet.  She laughed and said that there are no "name change" police, that I could legally have it official that day and do everything else when I was ready.  She called me by my maiden name for the first time in 30 years :)

Best of both worlds, right now

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yes I did.  I kept it to match my son.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I did for awhile... then changed it about 5 yrs later. My kids could care less... in fact they have asked about changing to my name. Ni t to match but because their Dad is not involved.
I think we as adults put more weight on a name than kids do. Not to mention so many families have different names even married
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAMI_JO
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

NO! Didn't want ANYTHING that reminded me of him. VERY ABUSIVE!!!

breebree04
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I kept his last name. I didnt want to go through the hassle of changing everything over to my maiden name when Im sure one day I will remarry again and my last name will change anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)