Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

If you are a divorced mom.....

Did you keep your married name after you divorced? Why or why not? Decisions, decisions.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Replies (31-40):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM
My friend divorced and kept hers. Her maiden name was hard to pronounce and her married one was easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah... i don't like my maiden name... and it gets under his parents' and friends' skin so BONUS.

buzybuzybee
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I kept mine......It helps with the fact that my co-workers know me by that name.......Also helps that it sounds better than my maiden name.

The biggest bonus however is that it has highly pissed off his whole family!!! Not my fault I am the first successful person with that last name! 

baseballmom5416
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

i kept mine for the kids.

MamaHens3
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I lost my married name, sucked though since my three kids with my XDH isnt the same anymore. He remarried, and still bugs me how she shares a name with my kids step mother an I am blood mother. An I do not, I'm still their blood bio mom so that helps me feel better lol. I had to mainly seeing as my youngest, fourth child not my xdh's was going to be born August 2011 an she wasn't having her fathers last name. That son of a bizkit emotionally left me, didn't even act like he wanted to be with me and I wasn't going to make a mistake of giving her his name. 

ETA: In the divorce papers, it was mentioned to change it back and was his request. I didn't, wasn't going to change it back to piss him off yet when I got preg I seen no reason to keep it. I wanted baby girl to have my last name, as much as he helped make her xso she is MY BABY in my mind no matter what. The name change BS was redic though, yet having the divorce paper that said it made it easier. I carried that thing around in my purse, for a good few months lol. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Yes. I was pregnant and had a small child. It was just easier
kristinas8
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I kept his name to avoid having to change my name in a thousand places.
AWsMomma
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Changed my back to my maiden name. I tell my kids, you have your Daddy's name and I have my Daddy's name.

cholita1978
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I went back to my maiden name, yes dd and I have different last names, but its not such a big deal, to me I felt that the name didn't belong to me anymore.

TishHughes
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Quoting randi1978:

Kept the married name.  Wanted the same name as my kiddo and didn't want to deal with the headache of name change bull. 

On a side note, I've heard some lame ass reasons as to why I should take back my maiden name.  Best of the bunch was "well, when you meet someone new, they won't want you if you have another man's name...."  As if I give two shits about what some potential boyfriend might think about my last name.  Only immature ass hats would have an issue and insecure women would change it solely to please a new man. 

I kept the married name, too. Not because I wanted to have the same last name as my daughter but because I don't like my maiden name. Maybe if I get out of the military, I'll change it back to my maiden name but until then-I'm keeping his.

People also try to get me to change mine back, as if my keeping his name affects their life in some kind of way. Their reasons are "y'all aren't married anymore". Well damn, should I give him the kid, too? The name isn't getting changed. End of story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN