Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Name Change of a Minor Child in MI

Posted by   + Show Post

Can I change my child's last name to match my own in Michigan?  I have sole legal & physical custody of my 6 year old.  Her father & I were never married but she has his last name.  He has had no contact with her for 2 years but he has intermittently paid some child support (in the sense that the state automatically deducts it from his paychecks when he gets a job).  Do I still need his permission to change it?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Replies (11-13):
MamaHens3
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Most of the time it's a go to court thing I think,  I'm from MI and wish I could help not knowing what you need to do. My youngest has my last name, I didn't give her my X's name seeing as he didn't care in pregnancy. I told him when I magically got a hold of him, him answering and him talking to me that she had my last name. He said he was ok with it, and he had enough on his plate its one less thing... *has look on face with raised eye brow*. 

Call legal aide at the court house, and see wha can be done. Good luck chica! 

beanerlynn22
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Thank you everyone :)

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

In most states you need dad to sign off on it. Call the legal aid office in your area and ask them. They'd be able to tell you the rules where you live and tell you the best options on how to get it switched.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN