Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

sleeping through the night.. what worked for you?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:57 AM
  • 9 Replies
I've read and read and read. I've talked to the Dr. But I can't get my 5 mo old to sleep at night. She wakes up at 3 am and wants to play.

At her 4 mo shots appt, the Dr said she should be able to sleep most of the night. She said to stop getting up to feed her whenever she cries. So basically bed time is between 11 and 1130. Then she ALWAYS wakes up between 2 and 3. I ignore her. Sometimes she falls asleep but sometimes she screams at the top of her lungs. She wakes up the whole house, I live with my parents. They both came in today and said I need to feed her or do something. Even though the Dr told me not to, just to leave her so she figures out how to go back to sleep, I got up and tried to feed her. She latched on for less than 2 mins then wanted to play. She clearly wasn't hungry. So I told her it's not play time, she needs to sleep, and put her back in her crib. So she is now crying again. I don't know what else to do. 5 months and I'm still not getting any sleep. I am barely functional and it seems like it's getting worse.

Any advice?

I wasn't a fan of this crying it out, but after reading multiple Dr-written articles and talking to my Dr, I feel better about it.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KarasMama2530
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Oh, and per Dr orders, I started her on cereal. That's what she gets before bed so she should be more full. But obviously that doesn't help. Also, when she sleeps in her swing, she will sleep for HOURS, I'm talking about 6 hours, so I know she can do it. I just don't want her sleeping in her swing, I want her sleeping in her crib.

So now she will wake up again at 7 and eat, then most likely sleep until 12, sometimes 1.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My son pretty much slept through the night from the time he was born so I don't really have any tips but here's a bump for you!  Hugs!

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I would normally let her cry it out, but since you live with your parents and its not fair to wake up the whole house. We spoiled my son and put up with this until i finally had anough and stopped doing it. she does not need food at that time..she wants mommy. there is no harm in letting her cry it out but it wakes up the whole house.

mz23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM
My dd is almost 13 months, around 3/4 months shestarted going to bed earlier (like 12) and stopped waking up at like 3am so I could walk her around the house to see everything lol. She is almost 13 months and still wakes up a bajillion times to eat. 've tried everything she still wakes up at night but still its a lot easier than when she was a newborn and wanted me to walk around. Your baby is still young, itll work itself out. Maybe try and wear her out during the day so shell snooze at night.
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

When my DD was a baby she would get up during the night because she slept too much during the day and she was hungry.  At 5 months old she's probably not tired enough to sleep through the night so skip out on the naps during the day by trying to keep her awake most of the day.  Feed her enough before she goes to bed.  And, I would even give her a warm bath with camomile/lavendar.  That also helps in relaxing an infant before bedtime.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM
DS didn't start sleeping through the night until 6 months. I was bad if it was a weird hour I would bring him to bed with me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ayacocca
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM
I was told the whole cry it out bid too, and I felt horrible. so, on my own I started giving her warmed cereal with her milk before bed, a warm bath with lavender, and I kept the room a little cooler so that I could bundle her up. I also did this about 30 min later than usual. I also bought, but seldom used, the lavender aromatherapy mist from B&BW... after about a week of this routine, she finally had a routine of sleeping thru the night.
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Try keeping her up during the day. It sounds like you need to work on starting a new schedule so she can sleep at night and not during the day. You may have a cranky baby the first few days but it will help in the long run.

kidlover2
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I hate the CIO method for various reasons but to each her own... I have 3 kids. All 3 kids had different sleep patterns. My middle child didn't sleep through the night until she was 2 1/2 years old. My youngest came home from the hospital sleeping 5-6 hours straight thru the night. Anyways... I would try what all the previous commentators said and if all else fails enjoy the short time you have together snuggling at night. It truly goes by so quickly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)