Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Telling the kids

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have 5 beautiful children (18,15,13,10 and 3 years old) their father died of a heart disease a little over 1 year ago. I've been dating a new man for 2 months and I want my children to be meet him. I'm very nervous about how they will take it... Do you how any advice about how I can tell my kids about him?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Chinese1
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:37 AM
I'm so sorry about the passing of your husband and their father. I see it can be difficult with the different ages of your children. I think the 15 and 13 year old will take it hardest. I would just invite your new boyfriend over for dinner and have all your kids there and make it as normal as possible. Good luck
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM

group hug

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs because most of your kids are older I think it's best to have a family meeting and tell them and ask when and how they would like to meet them give them a little control over it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Episode2
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I so agree with all of the above; so sorry to hear about the loss to you and your babies.

Sit down and discuss with them first! Let them feel a part of the situation, particularly the older children.

Sending positive thoughts, and best wishes for your new relationship!

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I agree about having a family meeting.  Let the kids know that you've decided to start dating again and are currently seeing someone.  At this point, I'd leave it up to them if they are ready to meet him or not, but since you've only been dating him for 2 months you might want to wait on having them meet the new guy.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I agree...and I am very sorry for your loss :(.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

Hugs because most of your kids are older I think it's best to have a family meeting and tell them and ask when and how they would like to meet them give them a little control over it

kidlover2
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Most of your kids are older. I would discuss it with them. I introduced my children to my boyfriend 1 week after we started dating. I introduced him as a friend and there was no kissing or handholding around them until he and I were serious. I needed to know how my children would interact with him and how he would handle 3 small girls. I married him and he is a fantastic father and they all love him to pieces.
jademom246
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:19 AM

BUMP!

Chloesmom2004
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Mmmm...I would probably wait a little longer than two months to let them know, just in case thingsddon't work out. But other wise, yea, group meeting first or something in public so its more relaxed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN