Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what's a good amount of time

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM
  • 12 Replies
To wait after a break up to start dating again? I was with exbf for 4.5 years and don't plan to date anytime soon(fighting myself over it because I really struggle with being alone..but I know I have to figure out a way to cope with that before I should start dating) but I was just wondering what the norm was
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodstock525
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think there is a norm.  When you're ready, you will know.  Or you may be pleasantly surprised.

youllneverknow
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Bump
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I don't think there is a set time people move on faster than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

There is no norm.  Some women are ready immediately, others aren't ready for several years.  You just go with with your heart says.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM
This. I was grieving the loss of my marriage the last year and a half I was still with him. I was truly single for almost 18 months. I went on my first date the week before my divorce was finalized and got married again a year later. It all just happened. All of my carefully laid out plans never came to be and I couldn't be happier.

Quoting woodstock525:

I don't think there is a norm.  When you're ready, you will know.  Or you may be pleasantly surprised.

LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM
When ready you'll know, there is no specific time limit
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I was married to my ex for 26 years when he told me of his affair.  I was ready to move on two years ago.  I've been divorced for almost 2 years.  I'm ready to date now.  Just haven't been able to find a date and I'm on an on-line dating service!

mmpdrs07
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I ended it with my ex in April this year and was sure that it was going to be a WHILE before I could ever trust again.  I left my ex due to drugs and not helping take care of his family, we were together 5.5 years and the last 3-4 were hell.  Well I met a guy online last Friday (so it's just been over a week) and so far things between us are amazing.  I know it's not been very long but I really didn't expect to find anyone this soon.  Things between us are moving kinda fast but like I said something about him just fits me and my son.  Yes I probably should have waited on him meeting my son, that's another I said wouldn't happen until I knew things were going good but it happened.  He seems to really care about my son and so far my son has really taken a liking to him.  I just pray that things stay as they are now being he seems to be a perfect gentleman which is a total 180 from my ex.  You will know when it's time or God will show you it's time one way or the other.  Hang in there if you still feel as though you need more time then don't push it.  I figured even if things with me and this guy didn't work out then we both had fun and made a new friend along the way and being a single parent that's one thing you have to accept I guess.

OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

There is no norm. When you get over the last one, you will know when it is time. Every one is different and we all go through the grieving process after a breakup.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I really think that is a decision only you can make.  Don't let anybody force you into thinking you are or are not ready.  For me I just knew when the time was right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)