Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Adding a "dad" name on bc ?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 13 Replies

My sister is getting married and her fiance wants to adopt her her son from a previous relationship. We were talking about the adoption and it came up that I had never listed a father on my dd bc. If I were in my sister's shoes would a guy have to adopt my daughter or could I just add a name? Would he have to take a DNA test to add it or would they take the guy's word? Anyone know how this works? I'm in Kansas if it helps.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annas_momma
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I am in the same situation as you. I know that since my daughter is 6 and her father has never attempted to establish paternity, it will make the adoption process easier, but I'm not sure what I would have to so yet.

My DF and I will start figuring that out in about a year, after we get married.
lnrmom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Call an attorney, but you don't just "add" a dad name on a BC. Paternity has to be established. I also don't think that adoption adds the dad name either.

Mac4411
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I know when someone is adopted they issue you a new birth certificate with the adopted parent listed as mother/father.

Quoting lnrmom:

Call an attorney, but you don't just "add" a dad name on a BC. Paternity has to be established. I also don't think that adoption adds the dad name either.

lnrmom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

That's interesting. For genealogy purposes that would suck big time...

Quoting Mac4411:

I know when someone is adopted they issue you a new birth certificate with the adopted parent listed as mother/father.

Quoting lnrmom:

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I do not know but here's a bump for you!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM

bump I have no idea

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM
My cousin put her new husband on when her daughter was 2 he signed the papers saying he was the dad. I'd contact an attorney
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine389142
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I did not have a father listed on my birth certificate when I was born.  When she married, the man she married adopted me within a year I believe (I would have been 2 I think when he adopted me).  I didn't know about any of this until I was 12.  I thought he was my dad.  However, he did have to legally adopt me.  I am in Indiana.  Not sure how it would work in Kansas.

sunshine389142
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Genealogy reasons you would want to look up the adoption paperwork in the court system, but you would have to know they were adopted I assume.  But yes, I was issued a new birth certificate with my mom and my dad (the one who adopted me) on it.  I do not know who my bio-dad is.  He was not on my first birth certificate though.  My mom did tell me his name when I asked, but I couldnt tell you how to find him.

You may be able to have the man sign a paternity affidavit, but I am not sure.  I would think a formal adoption would be the best route to go - because if you split up....he would still be considered the father - DNA wouldn't matter.....so he would have visitation and be ordered to pay child support.

my dad (the one who adopted me) was ordered to pay child support on me and had access to visitation just like he would have if he were my bio-dad.

Quoting lnrmom:

That's interesting. For genealogy purposes that would suck big time...

Quoting Mac4411:

Quoting lnrmom:

achavez219
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Hmm...I'm curious to know the process bc my sister doesn't have my nephew's dad listed on the birth certificate & her bf has been talking about adopting him (I'm in KS too)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN