Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Lost and frustrated (hud related no bashing please)

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 27 Replies
So I am a single mom to 2 babies 3 years old and 1 year old. I got into the section 8 housing assistance last year. Well I got a notice in the mail that I am losing my assistance and being fined 2 grand due to an anonymous tip. Apparently my hobby of making hats is considered a business even though I have not sold any (I do have a fb page and have TRIED to sell them in the past) and since I did not list that I have a "business" on my paperwork its considered fraud! I am in shock. I have no where to go and can not afford to rent an apartment and have no money set aside :-( I guess I'm just venting. I have an informal hearing on Friday and am anxious as heck.
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Go to the informal hearing with any proof that you may have. Witnesses of how you have tried to better yourself so you can move out of sec 8, but the biz was not successful. If you are on any other types of PA you may want to pay close attention to them, in many cases once you are considered fraudulent on one you loose the whole lot.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

well why havent you saved money? you pay next to nothing for rent. sec 8 should be considered temp help and not a way of life. Go to the hearing but you need to eventually be self supporting. Save some money and maybe look for another single mom to room with? I have never been to a hearing but your life under Sec 8 is going to be scrutinized since so many people abuse it. Sorry. I hate to see  mother and  kids homeless and I hope you can wor something out.

sarahmiamaria
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I think you may have missed the part where they are fining me $2000. What money I have saved is more then obliterated by that. And of my $400 a month income over $100 goes to rent. Not to mention phone, car Iinsurance, gas, diapers, electricity and any other necessities such as toilet paper tampons and paper towels. Im not sure where all this money I am supposed to have saved is from. I never dreamed I would be on government assistance but life happens sometimes and I am doing the best that I can

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

well why havent you saved money? you pay next to nothing for rent. sec 8 should be considered temp help and not a way of life. Go to the hearing but you need to eventually be self supporting. Save some money and maybe look for another single mom to room with? I have never been to a hearing but your life under Sec 8 is going to be scrutinized since so many people abuse it. Sorry. I hate to see  mother and  kids homeless and I hope you can wor something out.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I am sorry to sound harsh but you are stating the life we all have. i have house and bills to pay, we all do. I have 2 kids and a mortgage its is not easy. I have to work full time plus I'm probably going to get a second job. Do you get child support? How do you have an income of $400 yes that money does not go very far but if you do not work much then you will never get out of the hole you are in. You have virtually no income. Do you qualify for any sort of daycare assistance>? Just curious. There are also legit work at home jobs you can do. Just thought I would throw that out there.

sarahmiamaria
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Jobs are not easy to come by around here. I have made attempt after attempt to work from home but it doesn't ever seem to pan out. I have been looking to get off hud from the day I got on. I even have my cna licence but I still cant get a job to save my life. I realize no one in this group has is easy and I was in no way trying to say that. Just that I'm up chocolate creek without a paddle right this moment. I don't know why I even posted this. I knew I would get judged

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

I am sorry to sound harsh but you are stating the life we all have. i have house and bills to pay, we all do. I have 2 kids and a mortgage its is not easy. I have to work full time plus I'm probably going to get a second job. Do you get child support? How do you have an income of $400 yes that money does not go very far but if you do not work much then you will never get out of the hole you are in. You have virtually no income. Do you qualify for any sort of daycare assistance>? Just curious. There are also legit work at home jobs you can do. Just thought I would throw that out there.

BabyPink07
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
That sucks! I wonder who tipped them off? I've tipped them off about some idiot I know, and they did nothing. Hopefully the judge takes into account you didn't sell anything. I don't know how it could be a business when all you have is a fb page. Did you try selling them on etsy?
usmchoney
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Go to the.informal.meeting, bring any proof you think you might need. It will be fine, just tell the truth.
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Ok well I certainly did not mean to be harsh. Like I said go to the hearing and let them know you do the hats as a hobby is all. If by some chance you have an ebay acct delete it.

Also there is a company called Live Ops that hires solely work at home. i do not know though if they do OR you can go to their facebook page or apply on their website I am not sure if they hire agents in OR or not.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!

Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this
First- if I had an eBay acct I would NOT delete it NOW - as that could be deemed obstruction, attempting to destroy evidence, or just deceitful by whoever will sit in judgement of you, should they find out. Also, if you have tried unsuccessfully to sell through eBay, you could use the history to show completed listings that ended w no sale. But I'd be cautious w this as any sales for anything will be deemed income.

Second- not trying to be judgmental, but realistic...have you looked for a job outside the home? I know you have babies and would need some childcare, but there are still assistance programs or family/friends. Also even if you got hired for a low wage you would be gaining experience and that could lead to raises/ better position. I know this is not ideal- but we single moms often have to do things out of neccessity, not desire. I was lucky to be a sahm to my 3 kids, but after divorce I had to find a job. Things are frighteningly tight, but I am grateful for my job every single day.

Third -are you getting child support? If not file. Go for enforcement, if x doesn't pay

It may be very hard to prove you are not making any money w the hats, so I'd make sure to bring things like bank or cc statements and receipts showing your income and costs are consistent and limited to the income you have earned/received and reported.

Mostly I want to tell you I am sorry for your situation and you will be in my thoughts as you wait for your hearing. Hugs to you Mama. Try to be strong, be honest and hope for the best. Please keep us updated.

Ps in case anybody can lend s hand...what area are you from?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN