Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

advice for child support and custoday in NJ

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 9 Replies

im due in two weeks with my first baby. its a girl!

the father and i have not been together for pratically the whole pregnancy, i have no way of contacting him and he has made it clear he wants nothing to do with me or my daughter

when and where do i file for full custoday and child support?

please help

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM
After the birth you will need to go on the NJ state child support website and see about filling out the paperwork. Since he won't be admitting paternity you will need a DNA test. Do you have an address for him for when you are ready to serve him? Keep in mind it is probably going to take months to get this set up. There is also no guarantee he will pay. I hope you have a backup plan for money. Good luck.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Start checking into things now. Look online for the local courthouse and find out about the self help area. You may be able to get the paperwork now and fill out the basics, then once the baby is born finish filling it out and go down and file it. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Congrats on the upcoming arrival of your daughter!
DueAug2013
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Well in VA, if you do not put him on the birth certificate you do not need to file for custody... cuz he will have no rights unless he does wants a DNA test done

Lalalonely
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

i dont plan on putting him on the b.c. but what happens with child support

Lalalonely
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM

a part of me wants no chld support in order to keep his bad behavior away from my daughter

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Since you are not married you may not be able to list him as the father without him being there. You likely will have to file to establish paternity via dna test. If you go on any government assistance then you will be requirfed to file for child support. If you decide tofile it on your own, he probably will ask for visitation.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM

You will have to go to court and file for sole custody and child support. You'll have to give them any information you have on the dad (name, ss number, last known address) and they'll require a dna test.

sunshine389142
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I know it is not a popular choice these days, but my mom didn't put my bio-dad on the birth certificate or go after child support.  He never came looking....sometimes I think this is best.

In indiana, you can not just put someone on the birth certificate.  they have to sign a paternity affidavit and/or have a dna test.  and if they go after child support, they will establish paternity first - which means he ends up on the birth certificate....and here if he is on the birth certificate he has rights to the child.

Good luck on whatever you do and hopefully you can find out all the info about your state's laws.

Quoting Lalalonely:

a part of me wants no chld support in order to keep his bad behavior away from my daughter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN