Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How to keep kids from begging to buy them something at store.

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM
  • 22 Replies
My kids Are 8 and 5 and I absolutely hate taking them to the store with me because they ask over and over for me to buy them something. I say no and they beg and ask over and over despite telling them not to ask me to buy them anything. We had to go to both Target and Walmart tonight looking for a leotard for my daughter and both went crazy with their begging. It irritates the hell out of me and I want to take them both to the bathroom and spank them but they will just scream and cry in the store. At each store they both asked at least 5 times if I would by them something. Target was first and the worst because their toy aisle was right when we walked in and they both beelined it to there until I was able to pull them away. So irritating. How do you get your kids to listen to the word NO. My daughter has gotten very annoying with her begging and whining. She will ask me 10 times for something.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Say no and follow through. My guess is that in the past you give in when they keep asking. They are smart, if it worked once they will keep doing it. When you park at the store let them know that there will be no toys bought at the store today, if they ask for a toy they will be spending an hour in their room when they get home. Then follow through.

mcrred
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I have had to get brutally honest with the girls from time to time. I have explained that we live ONLY on Mommy's money she gets from her job. That means my small salary goes to paying for EVERYTHING and we don't have a lot left over. I have in the past told them how much my paycheck is and then how much is left over (not much of anything) after the bills are paid. Sometimes that's the only way to get through to them that this is why we don't have money for the expensive game systems/tech gadgets/toys all the time. I know they're little, but even if you show them, "See I've got only $20, and that's going toward your leotard for dance class and the rest has to go for groceries" that might help.

dawncs
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Have you thought of putting them on a small allowance for doing chores at home? They are old enough to start them. It can help teach them independence as an adult. Like loading the dishwasher, clearing the table, putting away toys, folding laundry, emptying the dishwasher, taking out trash, etc. You can tell them that they can save up their allowance over time for the toys or things Mommy can't afford at a time. You should also explain that you are on a tight budget, and one toy for each could really hurt if an emergency happens. Also share that you could not sell that toy or item for the price that you got it if you needed it for a car repair, emergency medical bill, or even food if you got shorted at work with your paycheck.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My kids do get an allowance for chores and last week my daughter begged and begged for a purse she saw at Payless. She happened to bring her wallet with her but left it in the car. I let her buy the purse with her own money but I am just so tired of the nagging. Kris's recommendation about an hour in their bedroom if they ask, is a good one.

steviechick
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom said if one of we kids brings up toys or 'buy me this' before we got into any dept store we would be grounded.  So, we basically knew that the only time we got 'fun' things was when we had birthdays or Christmas.  My mom was a stickler on 'fun' things when we were younger.  She could afford to buy us things but wanted us to learn that not everything we wanted we got.  She taught us to live on a budget and eventually earn our own way to getting things in life.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My son knows that when I say no I mean it and to not ask again, so I don't have any advice or tips.  Here's a bump though, I hope some of the other moms can help!!

kaylamom2004
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Maybe tell them if they don't ask AT ALL they MIGHT get something as a prize for not being begging little brats.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM
I taught my kids young as toddlers not to ask for stuff. If we go shopping.
When everything is done that needs to be done without any issues I ask them if they want something to pick out at the end of the day.

We shop every Saturday, they.are 5 and 11 and 17 months. My older kids don't ask for stuff, or bug. Sure before we leave they will say a new movie is out or a new novel or something and I just say we will see how the day goes.

Now when they ask for new clothes or something its different then asking for a toy or movie. But if I say no they drop it right away.

But they usually take allowance and buy themselves a treat with no problems.
AidensAvonMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

My son is 3 and at the age where he will ask more than once. The 2nd or 3rd time he ask and i say no i get down to his level and ask him "when i say no what does that mean?" his response is No and he wont ask again. I dont know if this would work for a 5 and 8 year old but im trying to teach him at a young age that no means and dont give in just to stop their whinning. They will know that it will get you everytime.

~Barbara

mmpdrs07
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

UGH My son is 3 as well and doesn't totally understand everything yet but were working on it.  Usually when he wants a toy it's a .99 cent car (not that big of a deal).  But if he starts going after other stuff I make him choose 1 thing, that is granted I have the money.  If I don't I just tell him we have to wait until next time that mommy is out of money right now.  Sometimes it works and sometimes I still get a fight out of him, I guess he's learning. 

Quoting AidensAvonMommy:

My son is 3 and at the age where he will ask more than once. The 2nd or 3rd time he ask and i say no i get down to his level and ask him "when i say no what does that mean?" his response is No and he wont ask again. I dont know if this would work for a 5 and 8 year old but im trying to teach him at a young age that no means and dont give in just to stop their whinning. They will know that it will get you everytime.

~Barbara

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN