Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I need ideas desperately!!!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have a 6 year old and a 6 month old. Lately the baby is SO hard to get to bed! He has always been a bit tough, but nothing like the last week. I feel so bad for my older son because his bedtime routine is out the window most nights because of his baby brother. I live with my parents for now so luckily he isn't sitting alone, but I want to be there for him like I used to.
So I can usually get the baby down, but he wakes up every 20-30 minutes for the first couple hours after going to bed. Any ideas? He has a bedtime routine, I know he's tired, but as soon as he's put down, he's up crying again. I wish I could sit with him all night, but I can't. :/
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steviechick
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

When my daughter was that little I made sure she skipped out on daily naps and did my best to keep her awake for most of the day.  I also fed her enough (included cereal in her milk) before she went to bed.  A full tummy and being exhausted were the keys to keeping her sleep at least 8 hours.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Hugs!!

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You might have to just let the baby cry it out instead of going to him every time he wakes up.  Or, since you live with your parents, maybe they can help.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

bump

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

It is normal for a baby to wake in those forst 20 to 40 minutes, it has something to do with not hitting their REM sleep cycles, they continue to wake up till they finally figure out the right sleep cycle on their own, meaning no rocking or anything like that.

Do you put baby in bed to fall asleep on own, or you put lo asleep then lay them down?

If you want to break the every 20-30 minute wake up, you should let baby fall asleep on their own, with a more gentle approach of something like white noise in the room, soft music or something.

What time is babies bedtime?

The earlier they go the better sleep they will have, and that is a proven fact. So if lo is already in bed early, you can try another 15 minutes early, to let the sleep cycles work itself out quicker, and get that time in with your son and back to a better sleep routine.

Or I suggest, if all else fails to include baby in the sleep routine itself with your son. Reading a story together, and laying in bed all 3 together, them moving baby to won room to lay down and sneaking in another quick one on one story.

Also you can CIO without actually CIO the normal way.

Start off with going in and talking to lo, and a gentle back rub or on the upper thigh (mine loved that) lol and a whisper of, shhing baby, and then slowly stop rubbing, and the slowly stop the shhing and then back out of room. But never pick up.

Also the first time you hear lo make a noise in that first 20 minutes, they may not actually be fully awake, so dont rush in right away, that may wake up more. Just wait a few minutes, babies are like us and tend to wake up every so often, but tbabies will squack a bit, but never fully awake, so maybe when you go in, you are waking lo fully awake.

Of course I am just making assumptions, since I have no idea how you are dealing with this to a full extent. lol But just some ideas to work with, and if you already do some of this, just keep at it and something will work soon enough.

babymine
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Cry it out method is not for me..

Quoting amonkeymom:

You might have to just let the baby cry it out instead of going to him every time he wakes up.  Or, since you live with your parents, maybe they can help.

alexis_06
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

can you leave the baby with your parents for a few while you put your 6yr old to bed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN