Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Don't know where to turn...EDITED IN RED...

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have no one else to turn to & really needing to vent.  I have 2 beautfiul daughters & I'm working full time.  I'm separated from my ex, divorce is in process.  My soon to be Ex doesn't pay anything to help out.  My Ex had gotten me fired from my last job, I had been there for 9yrs.  Now, I'm working full time in another city.  I had to move to another city, our house was forclosed on.  I was finally able to get my daughter's in day care, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep them there.  I can't afford to pay it every week.  I just checked my bank act....I have $20 until my next pay day in 2 weeks.  & I still have to some how pay day care for this week & next, & I'm behind on it already because I was only able to pay partial payments the last 2 weeks.  They told me last week that if I kept it up, they wouldn't be able to keep the girls there.  I've only been able to pay the main bills....rent & utilites.  Which all of my utilities are 2 months past due already.  It seems like all I've paid for the past 2 monthes are day care & fuel to get back & forth to work & rent.  

I've been racking my brain on ways to come up to get by.  I've tried selling stuff, but haven't had much luck.  I've thought about a part time job, but I can't afford any more babysitting costs.  How do you get by on less than nothing???  I know there are others out there who have it worse off than I.  I know I shouldn't complain, but what do you do???  I feel so helpless.  I'm so tired of this drowning feeling.  

I receive food stamps, day care assist, & WIC.  They are cutting my food stamps back in August by half...almost $200.  & the day care assist covers $5/day/child...it helps, but I still have to pay the $150/week.  I plan on going in & appling for TANF...does anyone have info on that?  & does anyone know of any programs for school supplies & such???  

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Apply for daycare assistance, food stamps, etc through your city.

mybabiesmama916
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Can you get assistance?

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

You should be able to go to your local family health services.  That is a county operation.  They can assist you with daycare and food stamps.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Child support, datcare assistance, food stamps, local food banks, search for a cheaper daycare

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM

group hug

MaliyahsMommy23
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I get assistance with daycare. I only have a $20/week copay; they cover the rest. Daycare is very expensive! If I was to have to pay the $150/week I basically might as well not work. Good luck <3

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Quoting amonkeymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ghostcat90
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be pushing for some child support IMMEDIATELY.  That said, I do not receive child support...we (1 infant and myself) receive WIC, I work two jobs (part time, no benefits).  When I was doing collections, I always advised people to seek out whatever government assistance they could qualify for (food stamps, daycare assistance, wic,rent assistance, utilities assistance, etc); don't be afraid to go to your local food bank, when you get back on your feet, make donations.  CANCEL the cable, cancel the phone, get an emergency gov't assistance phone, cancel the internet.  The public library has TONS of free resources (books, movies, internet access, etc).  Any loans you have, see about getting them deferred.  No more things you don't need...walk instead of drive (if possible...not possible for me, I live 10 miles from the nearest bus stop and essentially 20 from the nearest town).  DO NOT get credit cards.  It's just more debt.  Go to your local food bank for groceries, when you get back on your feet, go back and volunteer there.  Do you have a hobby?  Turn it into a side business (I make jewelry and knit and crochet).  Good luck!

ivylane37
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Do you have any mom friends or family that could help?  I will often switch childcare services with a friend, so we can both work.  Are there any mom groups in your area?

zoesmommy01
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I agree! I get food stamps and daycare help. I still struggle every week but it makes a difference! I prolly wouldnt struggle as much if my DD father helped out financially but it helps. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it! It can really make a difference!

Quoting amonkeymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)