Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Being grounded, when having more then one kid.

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: So is my grounding ways wrong, mean or ok if it works but it wouldn't work for my family?

Options:

Mean

Its fine

Not for my family

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

Ok so how do you ladies deal with your kids when one is grounded and the others are not?

I have a friend who thinks my method is mean. I do not think of it as mean, but something that gives my child that is being punished the time to think and really review what they did and learn from it.

Ok so my house is always full of kids, we have a pool and well its summer time etc.....

When one of my kids gets grounded and the other kids are playing with friends in the pool or in the yard etc...My grounded child does not get to sit around in the house just lounging around doing nothing.

They sit pool side on the deck, with a book to read or a worksheet, a few quiet things to do by themselves, but they are not allowed to participate in the other activities, they sit by my side.

They can have a conversation with those that are here.

We went to the beach recently, and the da before my dd got herself in trouble, I was not going to cancel our plans we had had for 3 weeks, its not fair to the other kids or myself, so she came and sat under the umbrellla but was not allowed to go swim or around having fun.

So they come to the things we plan, but do not participate at all. They are not ignored at all, I will sit there with whichever one it is and we will talk, or they read color etc.....just no friend fun.

It gives them the opertunity to really think and be like I wish I didnt do______, so I could play too. I know this may not work for a lot of families and I get that, but this is how I do it, its not often that this happens, but I do not and will not cancel plans for one misbehaved child, its not fair for the rest.

When they get grounded even when no plans are in order and its nice out, they can go in the yard with a book or quiet activity, while I swim or garden etc...but no leaving the yard, no bikes sprinkler bounce house trampoline swing set etc....and no friends, quiet time in the fresh air, they do not need to be in the house by themselves, sneaking tv time or something.

I have taken the family sliding in the winter while one sat out, I got a lot of evil eyes from strangers, when she begged me to let her slide on the hill. But she was being punished and I wont pay for a sitter either to sit with them and not allow my other kids to miss out.

So my one friend who has an 8 yr old dd, who has never been punished ever for anything, doesnt understand and think its really mean, so What is your opinon?

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

BUMP!

britmichele
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Depending on the age of the child, I'd say it's probably fine. I might even think you're being too nice to the grounded kid :)
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

They are 11 and 5. My lo is only 17 months we are not there yet. lol Yes I am nice enough to let them sit outside instead of in the house. lol But I am not in the house so they stay glued to my hip, when in the house they are in the spare room, no tv in the there at all. lol Just a quiet place to read or do worksheets etc.....They share a room and it has tv so its not fair to kick one out and not be able to watch tv,

Quoting britmichele:

Depending on the age of the child, I'd say it's probably fine. I might even think you're being too nice to the grounded kid :)

britmichele
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM
It seems like it works for you :)

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

They are 11 and 5. My lo is only 17 months we are not there yet. lol Yes I am nice enough to let them sit outside instead of in the house. lol But I am not in the house so they stay glued to my hip, when in the house they are in the spare room, no tv in the there at all. lol Just a quiet place to read or do worksheets etc.....They share a room and it has tv so its not fair to kick one out and not be able to watch tv,

Quoting britmichele:

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any problem with it.  In fact, I think you're doing a good job.  :)

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Greta job!! I think it's fair

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I think thats fair!  I only have one child so I haven't really had to deal with that issue!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I agree

Quoting amonkeymom:

I don't have any problem with it.  In fact, I think you're doing a good job.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Thanks ladies. Lol

I was thinking maybe from an outsider looking in it was mean and I just never noticed lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN