Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

i have a serious question about custody please read and help

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok so i had my son about a month ago.. Nd i just want to make this as short as possible i want to move far away from the babys father nd the rest of my family.. Now the babys fathers name is not on his birth papers .. If i move away is there anyway i can get in trouble.. I take care of my son everyday he doesn't have a job, he doesnt have money nd he doesn't help with the baby , he hasnt even bought one thing.. I dont have time to go to court thats how bad it is .. theres move of the story of why i wanna move but more or less i needa get outta here.. Can i just take my baby nd go ?
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
If paternity has not been established he has no right. However he can technically File something in your current state if he wants to establish paternity and visitation. If he files something in your current state you may have a problem.

How do you intend on taking care of this baby with no support system? Do you have a job or are you intending to go on assistance?
christinarb
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I have family were i want to move that will help me with everything once i get there i will get a job asap ns everything

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

If paternity has not been established he has no right. However he can technically File something in your current state if he wants to establish paternity and visitation. If he files something in your current state you may have a problem.

How do you intend on taking care of this baby with no support system? Do you have a job or are you intending to go on assistance?

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I would go, there's nothing he can do about it.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

since paternity is not established I would go. After you have been there 6 months or however long the residency requirement is there, I would file for child support.

Quoting christinarb:

I have family were i want to move that will help me with everything once i get there i will get a job asap ns everything

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

sunshine389142
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

You cannot get in trouble for moving if paternity has not been established and nothing has gone through the courts.

good luck,.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Like the others said if paternity aunt been established you can move
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MNMom07
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Even if paternity has been established such as he is on the birth certificate - you could still move as long as there is not official custody order in place preventing you from moving.  That is my knowledge of MN law - confirmed by more than one family attorneys.  If you didn't put his name on the birth certificate, then you're in a better spot than I am.

raschwittay
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I would move. Bit not file for child support if you don't want to be in a custody battle. Most men in this situation get mad about paying child support so they file for visitation then dinner sort of custody agreement. If you don't want the father involved. And be able to move. Get a job that can support you and your baby. Leave cs out if it. I wish I did.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

since paternity is not established I would go. After you have been there 6 months or however long the residency requirement is there, I would file for child support.

Quoting christinarb:

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

v2011
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Every state is different, but I moved 30 miles away from my kids father with no problems. I believe if he does not want you to take his child away he can file an injunction (think that's what its called) to stop you.  But if he doesn't protest it to the courts you can leave.  I think even for him to protest it he would have to take you to court to establish paternity first.   Are you taking the baby over state lines?

v2011
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Since that is the case, even if he did want to stop you, he probably wouldn't have much luck.  The courts (at least in my state) look at the "support system" of the custodial parent.  To have family there to emotionally support you and to be there in the event you need any other kind of help is in the best interest of the baby.   

Quoting christinarb:

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)