Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving far away from ex with kids

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 14 Replies
I have two girls. One is 2 and the other four. We want to move back home closer to friends and family.
Does anyone know if I will still get alimony and child support if I move? A legal decree is a legal decree and I don't think it can be changed if I move, right?
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chesswoman
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM
He knows I'm moving and wants me to go because he thinks the schools are better and is be happier around people I know.
veganistic
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Yes you will still get cs. Alimony idk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caramel85
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Never knew moving would affect either support. A court order;s a court order and shouldn't be changed even if you move out of the country imo.

krisnkids
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM

First you have to ask permission of the courts to move. No, you will not get alimony, if its not in the original decree it doesn't happen. Legal decrees in the case of custody can be changed, in terms of the original divorce decree, separation of marital assets, alimony etc cannot be changed without reopening the divorce case. To do that you have to show cause.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Child support wouldn't change just because you move. You do need to go to court and get permission to move.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I agree, you need to get permission from the courts to move.  As far as alimony is concerned that should be been agreed upon during the settlement hearing/agreement negotiations with stbx.  You should be able to move once the court sees the reasoning.  As far as cs you will get that as the ex has to help support his kids.

hnye77
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Well, you should probably amend your current parantage and support documents depending on how far you are moving to include visitation and travel to see Dad. My Kids father lives 10 hours away (by car) and we spend a monumental amount of money on transport.  Good luck!

lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I moved far away from my ex. IDK about alimony, but I'm sure you'd get it. Definitely child support.

SnapIt
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I moved away and i got both
It shouldnt change if you are already divorced.

Alimony should still be given if its whats due.
CS is the same as well

You just have to make sure he is ok with you taking the kids to another state. It has to be in writing that he ok'd it as well so when you sign them up for school they know

I had to show that for the new school for my kids.
They didnt give me any hassles
Ive never had any issues or never have been questioned.
Not as hard as some make it out to be. The only hard part will be getting him to agree if anything.

GL
M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

What does you legal decree say about moving? Something should be in there about it. Usually one has to get NCP and/or court approval to move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)