Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving far away from ex with kids

Posted by   + Show Post
I have two girls. One is 2 and the other four. We want to move back home closer to friends and family.
Does anyone know if I will still get alimony and child support if I move? A legal decree is a legal decree and I don't think it can be changed if I move, right?
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Replies (11-14):
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

You need his permission to move or you can fight it out in court. How is he going to see the kids if you move? you do realize you probably are going to have to pay for at least half of the transportation for visits? It is not fair to move and then stick it to him for travel costs. Any court will award him transportation costs or a reduction in child support. It is going to be expensive to fly the 2 kids roundtrip plus an adult needs to fly with them. he is a total fool if he lets you move without protecting his visitation rights or costs but that is something you 2 need to work out.

Why should he have to pay child support, alimony, and pay to fly to see his kids?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM

He WANTS me to move, is what shocks me!? Suddenly out f the blue he thought it was a better idea for me to move hme with them where schools are better for most of the year and then he will take thm on breaks. 

I would never dream f just running away with the kids. Sorry to give the wrong impression!

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I'm also not complete divorced yet. We are deciding how we want to do custody. I spend most of my time with them now anyway and he even hires a sitter or one of the nights he has them. He seems to view them as financial dependents and nothing more, which concerns me. They will have a lot more family members in Wisconsin to visit and probably a lot more friends when I reunite with my mom friends there.

by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM

If he's okay with it then you should be fine. Alimony and child support is based on income, mariage length etc. While child suppot will be affected because of the number of overnights dad has with the kids, the state where you are divorced is where they will base the calculation of support, not where you are moving to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)