Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Last name question

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

For those of you who were married and are now single did you change your last name back to your maiden name? When we filed for dissolution there was a section asking me if I wanted my old name back. I'm 80% sure I don't because I hated my maiden name and I want the same last name as my son.

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I did not change it in the divorce, I changed it 3 months after it was final. I actually was the opposite, I love my maiden name and hated my married name.

Bero2007
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

my maiden name was always a pain. no one could ever spell it right and I got weird looks when I had to tell people what it was. When I got married I got a nice simple name where I just have to say "that's with a d".  Part of me though is like well you aren't married to this man anymore so why keep his name.

Quoting krisnkids:

I did not change it in the divorce, I changed it 3 months after it was final. I actually was the opposite, I love my maiden name and hated my married name.

mom2threebbz
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I am keeping my married name because of my kids.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I am not divorced yet, I decided to keep my last name so I would have the same last name as my boys.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I am not divorced yet, I decided to keep my last name so I would have the same last name as my boys.
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I kept my married name simply because everyone both social and professional knew me by my married name.  It was too much of a bother to change check books, ss card, ID card, etc. just because I was no longer married. 

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I think it's more of a personal preference. My friend changed hers because she couldn't wait to get rid of anything related to her now xh.

alexis_06
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM

i have never been married, but i would think if i was...and then got a divorce, i would want MY name back..i wouldnt wanna keep his!

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

In my case I wanted my daughter and I to have the same last name ....has nothing to do with holding on to his last name. I am also a  professional and I have alot of accounts as well as SS card, nursing license, federal badge that are all in the name I have after getting married...too many people to notify and too much of a hassle to get changed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)