Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

budget for single mom with one child

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ladies, can you help me come up with a budget. My total income is 2,683 per month. I have 6 days until I have any money come in and I am down to less than 50.00 that has to last till then. I did spend 200.00 last month that went to a window my son broke. Not mine. And, I paid an attorney 250.00 to file some papers to try and get child support. I have enough food to last at least a week in the house right now. But, will need gas for work. I can't sleep when things get this tight.
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalalucylala
by Lillian Justice on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Oh way, can you possibly pick up a second job?
lalalucylala
by Lillian Justice on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Oh my,can you possibly pick up a second job since you only have the one child. Could u get a sitter ..perhaps someone in your family so u can work the jobs?
lazyd
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM

You just need to list your expense down.  What do you pay in rent, utilities, food, gas, water, cable, phone, internet, car insurance, etc.  Now is $2,683 before or after taxes?  But it does sound like you are just short over $450 this month with unexpected things.  If you do have this much money left over, than you need to start a savings account at put whatever you have left over and start building a savings so if anything unexpected comes up than you have money.  

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Will the $50 fill your tank and will it last until payday in 6 days?

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Write down a list of all your expenses (rent, utilities, gas, phone, child care). Then set a budget for fun, shopping, groceries, and anything else you may need. Whatever you have left should go into a savings account.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

sit down and write all the bills down and see where you can cut back

woodstock525
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

If you need the $50 for gas to get to work, I would suggest that you contact your local United Way (many states you just dial 211 or check for the website for your United Way) and see about getting help for food, clothes, utilities and other things to get you through the end of the month. There is also freecycle.org (check for one in your local area) where you may be able to find decent free stuff like clothes and the like for your home.

Just as an fyi, in most states, you do not have to hire an attorney to pursue for child support.  There is a child support enforcement agency in just about every state I'm aware of that should be able to file for child support for you free of charge and handle all the court stuff.  Hope this helps. 

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Dave Ramsey says live 10-10-80. Tithe 10%, save 10% live off 80%. I recommend finding a book by him and start there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Where I live (OK) that is enough for 2 and then some. Just list all your basic monthly expenses, subtract your income and if there's not enough left over, cut the extras until you have enough to get by. If it comes down to it, find a cheaper place to live or get a second job.
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I would have said the same thing as Lazyd.  The best way to save money when you are on a tight budget is to keep every receipt besides the usual monthly bills.   Like how much you spent on breakfast if you eat out (coffee), if you eat out for lunch more than twice a week look at how much you spend on dining out.  You would be surprised how much you send on a weekly basis on dining out instead of bringing in your own food.  I know the unncessary expenses came up, so that would be at least $450 back into your bank account.  The best thing you can do is cut as many corners as you can - do you need internet?  Do you need cable?  If you take those things out every month you have extra $.   If you just look at the outgoing instead of the incoming you will soon find out just how much money you can save. 

Quoting lazyd:

You just need to list your expense down.  What do you pay in rent, utilities, food, gas, water, cable, phone, internet, car insurance, etc.  Now is $2,683 before or after taxes?  But it does sound like you are just short over $450 this month with unexpected things.  If you do have this much money left over, than you need to start a savings account at put whatever you have left over and start building a savings so if anything unexpected comes up than you have money.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)