Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Truck Driving Possibilities

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 17 Replies
I am a single mom of 3 currently attending college for radiology. It has recently become very apparent that I need a more reliable source of income other than the child support I get since it is not always consistent. I have been looking into truck driving as an option but the biggest down side I see is that I will not be able to see my kids very much if at all in order to provide for them. The degree im trying to get is a good field but it will take 2 and a half years to complete and where I am there are very few if any jobs even though I am looking up to 100 miles away. I am at my wits end I don't want to take out student loans since that just creates more debt. I personally don't know any truck drives but I have researched different companies the good and bad. At this point its really a question of make money now and put school on hold or keep going to school and try to make things work for as long as I can.
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

you need to do what's best for your kids and yes you would make money but missing out on a lot.  I work full time but i get to come home to my son every day i don't think i could do it

sid1083
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
If you don't have the certifications now, you'll probably have to go to a trucking school (and that would be reduced pay). From my understanding, most of the money would come from long-haul . . . with 3 kids, I'd rather take on a little more student loan debt now rather than miss a lot of their growing up. Not only that, but if kids wouldn't be staying with dad, that could get quite spendy not to mention stressful itself patching together childcare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_mona
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

For both those reasons I am still debating the option is a big step to take and I would miss so much but sometimes you have to make the hard choices that may not be the ones you want. As for the childcare issue they would either be living with my sister or my ex

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Are there any jobs in your area you can take?
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

If it was me I'd take out a few more loans to make sure I had a job in my area that would allow me to come home every night/weekend to my child.  I know that I personally couldn't be a truck driver.

thatonemomof2
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I wpuld take on the student loan debt. Go into a field you know you will have a job when you go out. I'm going into nursing :) no matter what i couldn't do a job that took my self away from my kids. They need more then the money part from you. My ex was a trucker and hated it. He just recently got a job where he can stay with his kids.
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

you will still need to go to school to get your trucking license.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If you are on the road a lot that would be grounds for a custody change in favor of the kids' dad. I don't know if he is very involved or not but that's something you might want to take into consideration.

Robsessed98
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You have to do what YOU think is best for your kids. Personally, I would stick with school and struggle through. Your kids need you with them now and truck driving will take you away. Once you finish school, you will be able to make good money and could relocate anywhere if you wanted. Weigh the pros and cons and do whatever you think best. Good luck.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

There's no way I'd take a job where it would mean my child was being primarily cared for by someone else. No way at all. I'm not going to miss out on time with my son.

Keep in mind that if your ex took the kids, you'd probably end up paying child support to him. If that happened, would you really be making enough $ to pay CS and save for school? Probably not.

Sooooooooo not worth it to me. You'll never get back that missed time with your kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN