Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child support: is bio dad exaggerating?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 36 Replies

I get child support from my sons dad and he insists that he only has $250 left once child support is taken out of his paycheck. He gets paid every 2 weeks so I assume he gets $ 500 a months and the rest goes to my son.

could this be true?

he owns a home while I pay rent. He's married but no kids.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerossandra
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM

BUMP!

breebree04
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

He has $250 left every 2 weeks? How much does he pay in cs? This could be true but if it is, he isnt working full time or isnt making much money per hour but seems odd to me because in my state even if he was making minimum wage he would bring home more than that every 2 weeks if he worked full-time.

ballerossandra
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I get 500 per month as I made the mistake of not adding daycare to my financial statement so it should be more but it was my mistake

Quoting breebree04:

He has $250 left every 2 weeks? How much does he pay in cs? This could be true but if it is, he isnt working full time or isnt making much money per hour but seems odd to me because in my state even if he was making minimum wage he would bring home more than that every 2 weeks if he worked full-time.

unspecified42
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM
How would we know how much he makes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I'm sure he's exagerrating, but I suppose it could be true. If it is, he needs a second job.

ballerossandra
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Well I'm sure the state would not leave him with no money. This is California. No idea what the standard percent is but I'm caught between two minds: trusting him or trusting the state

Quoting lnrmom:

I'm sure he's exagerrating, but I suppose it could be true. If it is, he needs a second job.

breebree04
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Thats not too bad for only 1 kid, I only get about $350 a month for 2 kids.

So he is basically saying that he brings home $500 every two weeks and pays $250 every two weeks so he is left with $250 every two weeks lol I guess that is possible. He is probably making approx. $300.00 a week ($600.00 every two) and after taxes probably brings home $500.00.

He has to provide for his child so if he doesnt like it then he should get a new job or a second job. If he is married and his wife works with no other children then they should be able to make ends meet while still helping to support your child

Quoting ballerossandra:

I get 500 per month as I made the mistake of not adding daycare to my financial statement so it should be more but it was my mistake

Quoting breebree04:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Its not. Its illegal for a company to take more than 50 or 60% (depending on state) out of a person's check for child support or court orders.

Now that doesn't mean he doesn't have a bunch of other deductions, its 50% of his gross, not net.

steviechick
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Your ex makes lousy money if he only hs $250 at the end of the month.  When you agreed to a settlement/cs did you know what his income was back then?  I wouldn't question what is already set-up unless you can find out how much he makes.  Go back to the courts and inquire about how much the ex makes.  Tell them that you need extra for childcare. 

HadnKmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM
In wisco the most you can get is 17% and if you're behind they can garnish 1% of what you owe from your wages every pay period. So if you're getting 500. He is most likely lying. Probably that's what he has left after bils.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN