Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

In need of advice

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hi everyone I'm a single mom of 4..I work but I'm looking for a second job because its jus so costly..are there any mommy out there working two jobs alone with no help? If so how do u do it..I have no family so I've been looking into childcare but it's so g
Hard much less being away from them since I am a nurse n the hours r out of wack :( any advice is welcome thank u!
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM

What is so costly?

when I was married I worked fulltime Mon to Friday, than took a 2nd job on Sat and Sun. I did that for 6 months. Needed the extra money but found out if I changed my spending habits I had the extra money I was making working on Sat and Sun.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I would rather budget and cut out extras then spend less time with my kiddo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i refused to allow my children in daycare unless i am their teacher. 

with that being said.....

i worked at a daycare and i nannied for a family and i babysat on the side.

was it alot?  yep.

but i was with my kids unless they were in school! and i wouldnt' trade all the stress or all the headache for anything.  

HadnKmom
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM
My kids are in daycare. They play well with others and Learn a ton. (I actually chose daycare over 4k because she already knows everything they are teaching in their curriculum). I only work one job but I work ridiculous hours. So I keep my weekends open for my kids. But I have no cable and only internet on my phone (which I need for work) I get daycare assistance and when I look for a place to live I look for a place that isn't on a corner. (We have a heat advisory here but my ac isn't on all my neighbors have theirs on and it keeps my apt. Cool) good luck though!
MsSasha24
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone..I changed my spending habits but this job does not pay well so I have to get a second job full time..I hope it all works out tho :(
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM

HI, Sasha, and welcome to the group.

Cutting out the extra expenses and pinching pennies helps but it doesn't always help in every area.  Have you tried to up the child support from the ex?  Working a part-time job helps as well, but that takes you away from your kids. 

awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Can you do per diem through an agency. My friend does in an area where there is a nursing shortage and makes like $95/hr.
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I have one full-time and one part-time job but my ex watches ds while I work.

thaoneshya
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Hello I'm in the same boat. I'm a c.n.a I work part time nursing home and per diem assisted living.I've had luck with a few friends helping with watching my 7 year old lately but have had to go the daycare route for a long time! Care 4 kids is a program here in CT maybe there is something there to assist with daycare expenses. Honestly I hate working so much and I miss my daughter so very much but I don't spend any extra money and still struggle. Its really hard for a single mother with very little help to get by not working 2 jobs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)