Breaking up is hard to do. So maybe that's why people give so many bad excuses for it. Of course, at some point, we've all probably heard or resorted to "It's not you, it's me." And while that sounds like a cop-out, chances are it is that person. That person just isn't sure he or she wants to be with you. Well, if you're getting dumped, he or she is very sure. But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you per se. No one likes to hear that though, because people want some kind of concrete reason like, "I hate your underwear." But that's usually not the way it goes. The hashtag #WorstBreakUpExcuses has been trending on Twitter all day. Here are 10 of the worst ones. I hope they're not serious but I wouldn't be surprised if they were!
More from The Stir: A Single Girl’s Open Letter to All Future Mr. Wrongs
1. I'm sorry babe, but you don't Twerk like you used to.
(Ouch. I wonder if this is what Liam Hemsworth told Miley Cyrus.)
2. I can't date you because I'm a superhero and my villains will use you against me.
3. You don't look half as good as you did on Christian Mingle. God bless.
4. You're too good to me/too nice/too smart/you deserve better.
(Yes, you do.)
5. The gradual shifting of tectonic plates made you live too far away.
6. We need to break up because my dog keeps barking at you. I think he's trying to tell me something.
7. I just can't be with someone who liked Sharknado.
8. I love you but I'm not "in love" with you.
9. I've got to focus on finding out the truth about Benghazi.
10. We can't see each other anymore, I'm getting married.
What's the worst breakup line you've ever heard?