Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Angry 7 yr old.

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

My oldest is 7 years old. He is the oldest of 4. And he gets very angry very quickly. He hits and screams at everyone. Have you ever dealt with this? Any advice on how to calm him down? It has been so bad I have even considered a therapist. i just want to help him and not sure how. Everything I have tried so far hasnt worked

Thanks in advance!

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sunshine389142
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

What have you tried?

Can you give some examples of the situations when he gets angry quickly and acts out?

How long have you and his dad been seperated/

Has he always been like this and it is just getting worse?

If it is more recent, have there been any changes in his life that coincide with the anger?

Does he get angry with certain people more or is it everyone?

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

What have you tried? What happens before he acts like this? What does he say about why he acts like that?

carmenia4
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I've tried to avoid any situations that could make him angry. I interfere when his temper starts to rise. Given him things to keep him busy. Rewards for staying calm. Tried talking to him. And a few other things. His temper comes out sooo quickly and at random times. I've been divorced from his father since March of 2010. He has always had a temper and as he has gotten older it has been worse. The only event that has happened recently is that we had to move in with my parents. (a couple weeks now) But his temper hasn't been better or worse since the change. He gets angry with everyone and anything seems to set him off.

Examples of his temper: I tell him no more juice...have water. He starts screaming and stomping. I pick up a lego off the floor and he screams and hits his head.

And when he is mad or upset he seems to always hit himself and run into things on purpose...trying to hurt himself.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You need to talk to your pediatrician ASAP.  He can recommend a counselor for your son.

carmenia4
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

We are in the process of chaning dcs but that is my next step. His brother has an appt tomorow with the new doc so I'll set him up an appt then. i hope I find help for him. In case there is something else that is going on and I am not able to help him on my own.

alexis_06
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:27 AM

hope you can get some answers :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)