Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinoff of other posts

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sorry, but some of these other posts have just made me really wonder about the standards or rather double standards that we as parents fight in today's society. The "little girls needs her mother"? To me this implies that 'mother is best'. If we say that should we say 'little boys need their fathers"?

Personally I resent either one. I can raise my boys just as well if not better than their fathers can. I know quite a few fathers who provide better quality care for their daughters than their mothers ever could. I am by no means a liberal, but what's black is black and what's white is white. It doesn't matter if you squireted out the child or squirted something in, the quality of parenting is not based on gender.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I know a male that is raising his son.  His gf walked out on the child she bore and the father of the child.  He runs his own business and has just graduated from college with a teaching degree. 

Kids need good parents to raise them.   Plain and simple.

carmenia4
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I don't like those phrases either. In my opinion it doesn't matter which parent is raising them. The kids just need the best parent that they can get. I'm raising 3 boys and 1 girl. My boys don't seem shafted bc they aren't mainly with their dad. And I know plenty of dads raising girls that are doing amzing jobs. There are just some fathers out their that aren't the best parents and there are also some mothers out there that aren't the best parents.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this

You make a good point.  Personally though I feel that all little girls AND little boys need both their mother and father.... their parents don't need to be together, but the child needs the love of both whenever possible.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

A child needs both parents (in most cases). Both parents have valuable lessons they can teach their child and things aren't always based on gender roles.

woodstock525
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I agree with you totally.  In situations where the parents do not live together, I don't think that the mom should be the one usually viewed as the primary custodial parent and I believe that residential parenting should be as close to 50/50 as possible because children benefit from companionship of both bioparents,

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
A child needs the best they can get. Making a child doesn't always make you a good parent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deltathree
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I agree with pp.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I can't say a child NEEDS a mother and a father as clearly there are plenty of successful gay & lesbian parents out there raising wonderful children. I do think all children benefit from adults who love them and show them the emotional attention they need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM

children need people who love them unconditionally..mom, dad, whoever

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)