Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I want to get on section 8 but afraid I will lose custody of my son

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM
  • 26 Replies

Has anyone heard of single mothers losing custody of their children because they try to get on to section 8. / are homeless for a short period of time?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mz23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Theres tons of people on section 8 with children. Not sure why someone would loose custody over it? Whats having housing assist have to do with custody? Maybe being homeless might affect that...
anity
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

you cannot lose your kids over it. i am currently on section 8 and single with 3 kids.

I make and sell jewelry, Check out my shop Mommy&Me

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
You are doing what you can for your children I don't see why unless if you had no place to stay the father may file for temporary custody until you do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have not.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No, but here the section 8 list is impossible to get on.  the waiting period/list is very long.  GL!

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

you can NOT lose your kids if you get any type of housing. I was even told by a judge that even if me and my kids lived in a homeless shelter that it was considered a roof over our head and I was taking care of them to the best of my ability and my kids sperm donors CAN NOT seek custody for that. 

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

There is a difference between homeless vs on Section 8. Section 8 is overrun with kids and its totally "ok" to be living in Section 8 with kids. 

Now, if you are sleeping in your car, yeah, I could see that being a problem.

armyvet06
by Ashley on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My friend is a single mom and she is in section 8 housing.
BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

this

Quoting illinoismommy83:

There is a difference between homeless vs on Section 8. Section 8 is overrun with kids and its totally "ok" to be living in Section 8 with kids. 

Now, if you are sleeping in your car, yeah, I could see that being a problem.

Sunfresh34
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been on and off section 8 for the pass five years. My daughter's father has not sought custody of her since we were separated eight years ago. The Salvation Army takes in homeless single moms where I live and places them in government housing or with landlords who take section 8 faster than those already living somewhere else. Therefore, living with family members or friends will just slow the process down on getting assistance with having your own place to live. Please, do not be afraid to get any type of asistance to help provide for your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)