Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Step Dad or Daddy

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 22 Replies

Here's a little back round so you understand the question. my Dh an I broke it off, I ended up dating someone else & getting preg, When I found out I was preg with the other guy I relized dating him wasn't working out. He then decided to not be around for the pregnancy or the birth & now he isn't in his childs life at all. I got back with DH while preg an he has been there from day one helping me raise my child, she even calls him dada. Now for the question, should she grow up calling him daddy, or should she look as him as her step father even though her real dad isn't I won't ever be in her life? 

No negative comments I just wanted to know daddy or step dad.  

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liels898
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
9 moms liked this

A dad is the one that acts like a father, loves like a father, and is there, again, like a father. As she gets older I would say it's healthy for her to know the facts, but there's no reason she shouldn't see her dad as her "daddy" because that's what he's been. 

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

If you were married to dh when she was born, legally your dh is dad. So I would say daddy.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Your dh is her dad. He's the one raising her and the one who will be there. I do think you should be honest with your dd though and let her know another man is her biological father.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
A dad is a male who is in a child's life and loves them unconditionally it doesn't have to be biological.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM
This

Quoting LifeCafe42:

A dad is a male who is in a child's life and loves them unconditionally it doesn't have to be biological.
LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM
The father of my three year old son has never been a part of his life--he took off soon after he learned I was pregnant. I got married almost a year ago to a wonderful man, who loves him as if he were his own son. He's a better father than my son's real father ever would have been. My son calls him "Daddy."

Quoting liels898:

A dad is the one that acts like a father, loves like a father, and is there, again, like a father. As she gets older I would say it's healthy for her to know the facts, but there's no reason she shouldn't see her dad as her "daddy" because that's what he's been. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I agree with this.

Quoting liels898:

mmpdrs07
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I say until the child is old enough to understand let him be daddy.  One day you can tell her in case she wanted to do anything about it, but leave that to your daughter.  

kayeeare228
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I will always be honest with my DD & tell her everything, thankyou for your replys 

knh629
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My boyfriend has been in my daughter's life since she was 6 months old, she is now 2. She calls him dada and daddy, he is her dad. He has been there for every single one of her milestones and he is the one who has been there for her, before him she didn't have a father, just a sperm donor. She will grow up knowing that he did not help create her but in every other aspect he is her daddy, and that is the most important thing. As a lot of people have already said, a father is the one who raises the child and plays a role in their life not the one who helps create them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)