Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not all low income people are created equal

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 142 Replies
72 moms liked this
I'm so sick and tired of hearing people gripe about low income people and what they should do or shouldn't do or should buy or shouldn't buy. We are not all uneducated, we are not all jobless, living off your tax money.we don't all wear name brand or eat steak for dinner nightly.........soooo to set the record straight.....I live in the cheapest state in the country (Oklahoma). I am a single mom, who has an associates degree and a job in the field I have a degree in. I live in a one bedroom apartment, drive a car that has over 200k miles on it and no ac in car. I do receive wic, but that is all. I work my ass off, I pay my bills, as well as my taxes. I take care of my kids, and I get just as frustrated about people who use the system as you do. I was accepted to nursing school, but have to put it on hold BC I can't afford the extra daycare BC the dum dums that do use the system get the assistance, but yet I make too much money (12.45 an hour). So the point of my vent is:: not all low income individuals are trying to usethe system. So please stop grouping us all into that category.
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
21 moms liked this
And not all people who use the system are dum dums they just happen to make less money than the rest of us who are low income also.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM
12 moms liked this
No there are the few that make it bad for the ones who need it to get back on their feet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting virginiamama71:

And not all people who use the system are dum dums they just happen to make less money than the rest of us who are low income also.
lauraash06
by Ashley on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM
11 moms liked this
You are absolutely correct. And I'm not meaning this in any way, shape or form, to the individuals who are legitimately using the assistance. I'm referring to the individuals who are using and abusing the system illegally. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that remark. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the assistance one qualifies for if done in a legal way. I'm referring to the indivIdeals who get food stamps, daycare assistance, and housing, but also have coach handbags, drive an overly expensive new car, and don't work. Again I'm sorry if that came off as me meaning otherwise
Forever_Red
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM
6 moms liked this

I understand where you're coming from... It sucks that those few losers who abuse the system create a sterotype for everyone else...

Mandallyn
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Yes, thank you.
Quoting virginiamama71:

c_ramirez8606
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
8 moms liked this

My old neighbor was on every assistance there is. She worked like 10 hours a week, when she couldn't of worked more. Her and her bf who wasn't allowed to live there, would smoke pot all the time. The smell would come into my apartment. One time during her section 8 inspection, the maintenance worker, section 8 inspector and a cop all smelt the pot in the house and she got away with it. She still had all her assistance. Nothing happened to her no matter how many times she got reported. She was trash. Its people like her that give low income families a bad name.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

It is ok I understand. You had said those who use the system instead of those who abuse the system. There is a difference. Many people need it and use it to supplement their income or using it to step up but I agree with what you said about those who are able to do something and choose not to.

Quoting lauraash06:

You are absolutely correct. And I'm not meaning this in any way, shape or form, to the individuals who are legitimately using the assistance. I'm referring to the individuals who are using and abusing the system illegally. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that remark. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the assistance one qualifies for if done in a legal way. I'm referring to the indivIdeals who get food stamps, daycare assistance, and housing, but also have coach handbags, drive an overly expensive new car, and don't work. Again I'm sorry if that came off as me meaning otherwise

ProudMommaBear
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I think she meant the ones who abuse the system .

Quoting virginiamama71:

lauraash06
by Ashley on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
That was my mistake on wording then. I do receive wic as supplemental assistance, and I would definitely use daycare assistance while in nursing school if I qualified for it. I'm just very frustrated with seeing people who believe that abusing the system its ok. I want better for myself and children and unfortunately can not use assistance as a stepping stone BC I make 78$ too much a month. Of that amount, a free hundred goes to taxes to help people who are capable of working but refuse to do so.

Quoting virginiamama71:

It is ok I understand. You had said those who use the system instead of those who abuse the system. There is a difference. Many people need it and use it to supplement their income or using it to step up but I agree with what you said about those who are able to do something and choose not to.

Quoting lauraash06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)