Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single Moms and finances...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 27 Replies
I am really interested in how single moms are making it work financially. I work full time, but receive no cs or pa. I struggle to support my family and am actively seeking a 2nd job. I would consider my family not quite poor but definitely not middle class.

I was wondering...

How many hours a week do you work?

Do you have more than one source of employment? If yes, is your second job a traditional job or a supplemental side hustle like babysitting, tutoring, freelance?

Are you actively looking for more work?

Do you get child support?

Do you get any public assistance?

Are you able to save regularly or do you live paycheck to paycheck?

Do you consider yourself poor, middle class, upper middle class or upper class?

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauraash06
by Ashley on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I work 40 hours a week.....traditional hospital.

Only source of income at the moment. No cs, I get wic for my children. I am not actively looking for new job, just a second job, perhaps at a part time daycare.

I live paycheck to paycheck, and will continue to do so until my daycare expenses go down or my income goes up.

I try to save 20$a paycheck tho. Not always.

I consider myself at the bottom of the middle class
hargonagain
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I work full time at my regular job.  I am also a Certified Massage Therapist, so I try to do a couple of massages a month, but I haven't been actively looking for a second job.  Just if I need some extra money I try to get a couple of massages booked.  I do not get child support or any type of assistance.  I adopted my son at birth, so there is no "baby daddy" to collect child support from and I make too much money to qualify for any type of assistance.  I do save money, but it goes to my 401K/457 plans, not an actual savings account.  I have been thinking about getting a regular savings account just to have money for emergencies etc.  I consider myself lower middle class, lol.  I make too much to qualify for anything, but not enough to "thrive" on.  I get paid once a month, so we are literally month to month, paycheck to paycheck.  I have been considering trying to drum up more massage business on a regular basis. 

Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Wow...monthly checks would be really scary if you didn't plan carefully.

I do envy moms who have a side skill - like massage therapy- that they can turn to on an as needed basis to supplement your regular salary.

Quoting hargonagain:

I work full time at my regular job.  I am also a Certified Massage Therapist, so I try to do a couple of massages a month, but I haven't been actively looking for a second job.  Just if I need some extra money I try to get a couple of massages booked.  I do not get child support or any type of assistance.  I adopted my son at birth, so there is no "baby daddy" to collect child support from and I make too much money to qualify for any type of assistance.  I do save money, but it goes to my 401K/457 plans, not an actual savings account.  I have been thinking about getting a regular savings account just to have money for emergencies etc.  I consider myself lower middle class, lol.  I make too much to qualify for anything, but not enough to "thrive" on.  I get paid once a month, so we are literally month to month, paycheck to paycheck.  I have been considering trying to drum up more massage business on a regular basis. 

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I have a full-time and a part-time job. I work between 40-85 hours a week. I do not receive any cs or pa.

I need to finish my resume and start looking for a new job. Living paycheck to paycheck and being behind on bills sucks.

I consider myself poor.

Chunkymunkey922
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I work a full time office job. I have my bachelors degree and am working on my masters. I try to save 50-100$ per paycheck. It usually ends up being used for something, but i have the cushion if needed. It's tight, after I pay all my bills I have about 400$ left for groceries and gas. No pa or cs. I would be A LOT more comfortable with cs though supposed to ve 120$ a week.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I work fulltime and receive $400 in child support. I can make it only because my brother provides a house for my son and I to live in. Without it I would not have anything left after paying what it cost to rent in my area.
hargonagain
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Yeah, gettng paid monthly has its pros and cons.  On one hand, I have all of my money at one time, but on the other hand, I don't have another check to fall back on it something goes wrong or an unexpected expense pops up.  I pay EVERYTHING by the 10th of the month.  I have to keep certain amounts available for things like prescriptions that can't be filled til mid month, doctor office co-pays etc.  I always have to plan in advance for everything because there is no more money til the next month.  I went to massage therapy school back in 2010.  It has come in handy!  There have been times I couldn't afford gas to get to work and lo and behold I get a call to do a massage.  I know I was pissed off because I was scheduled to make almost $200 this weekend through massage and both clients postponed.  Oh well, what can you do, right?

Quoting Mamavelt:

Wow...monthly checks would be really scary if you didn't plan carefully.

I do envy moms who have a side skill - like massage therapy- that they can turn to on an as needed basis to supplement your regular salary.

Quoting hargonagain:

ruby_jewel_04
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I'm just starting the divorce proccess, and i don't have a job yet. So i don;t now what it will be like for me. but I know I'll be getting some state help with daycare, and food for a while. 

3tobe13
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I usually work 45 hrs a week(I'm on maternity leave for now). I do live paycheck to paycheck. I do not receive any PA or CS. 

justahousewife
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 3 primary sources of income, my tiny farm which depending on the season can take as little as 3hrs a day or as much as 10hrs a day. Writing which I try to devote at least 3hrs - 4/5 days a week. And then my coaching practice takes up about 4hrs a day - 4/5 days a week depending on how many clients I have.

I have a waiting list of customers and clients so there is no point in looking for work otherwise. I keep my load light enough it doesn't interfere with taking care of the kids and the house but still pays the bills. I've managed to shuffle work around the kids for so long that when my little one starts school in Sept I'm going to be lost with all the free time. lol

By PA standards I'm poor because they only count half my income since I'm self-employed. I don't consider myself poor though, I live beneath my means, have a hefty savings, the kids have college savings and we have what we need and a few wants. If I get cs, which isn't often it just goes into savings for the kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)