Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Being forced to quit my job? Advice/Options?? **PIOG**

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

As some of you may know I work from home for a dental insurance company. I have been working for them since the 7th Jan 2013 so not long. I believe I have been doing a decent job, I'm not the top worker but I know my way around the systems and can help callers with most issues.

About 2 weeks ago I tried to log in but got an error message saying the webpage cannot be displayed and without this page I can't log into anything or get paid. I let my boss know via email and then I also spoke to another higher up and asked if anything changed and she confirmed a security update had taken place overnight.

I have been going back and forth with my boss about this as well as my ISP and my job's help desk to no avail. My boss and the HD tech appointed to help me all say the issue is on my side as far as connectivity BUT I have never had this issue before the security update.

The tech asked me to order a new router (money that comes outta my pocket) so I just spent almost an hour and a half on the phone with my ISP tech, did that and installed and set it up and I'm still getting the error message.

The only reason they don't want to take responsibility for it is because they would have to pay me tech pay which is basically paying me for work I missed due to an error on THEIR end and that would amount to almost 2 weeks of tech pay.

What else can I do? Since I am being forced to quit can I file for unemployment? IDK what else to do.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
v2011
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM

you have to prove it isn't on your end.  I would look up the EEOC and see if you can file a complaint. Are they just saying it's on your end because they dont know what's wrong?  Cause that's what it sounds like.  You might be able to file a complaint and request they pay you that back pay.  Check it out www.EEOC.gov  the burden of proof might be on their end if they are withholding wages, not sure. 

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I have proved it to the best of my abilities. I called my ISP provider, he came out and checked the connections and everything was fine. I called my ISP again last week and explained the situation while ordering a new router and the lady who answered the phone also works from home and said that she had the same issue with her job and told me how it could be fixed, I emailed my boss and she said that's not possible.

I called my ISP again today and stayed on the phone with him for an hour and 20 mins and he walked me through setting up my new router and the issue still isn't resolved. I was not having an issue until the security update.

Quoting v2011:

you have to prove it isn't on your end.  I would look up the EEOC and see if you can file a complaint. Are they just saying it's on your end because they dont know what's wrong?  Cause that's what it sounds like.  You might be able to file a complaint and request they pay you that back pay.  Check it out www.EEOC.gov  the burden of proof might be on their end if they are withholding wages, not sure. 

v2011
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I see, I would document everything, see if that other person would be willing to back you up.  Talk to the highest person possible at your job and document everything in the conversation.  If they do not work with you then file a complaint with your state office.  They are withholding wages owed to you, do you have that policy in writing?  The one where they said that they will pay if it's their fault?  Submit that and all other documentation with your complaint.  And yes file for unemployment, the worst they can do is turn you down, and if they do appeal it.  Maybe when you talk to them, tell them you are going to file this complaint.  It might motivate them to get their act together so you can work. 

Quoting SexyDiva19:

I have proved it to the best of my abilities. I called my ISP provider, he came out and checked the connections and everything was fine. I called my ISP again last week and explained the situation while ordering a new router and the lady who answered the phone also works from home and said that she had the same issue with her job and told me how it could be fixed, I emailed my boss and she said that's not possible.

I called my ISP again today and stayed on the phone with him for an hour and 20 mins and he walked me through setting up my new router and the issue still isn't resolved. I was not having an issue until the security update.

Quoting v2011:

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

BUMP!

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

BUMP!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Document all of your attempts what you have done the money out of pocket I'm not sure but good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yea I have documented everything and I am sending everything to my boss.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

Document all of your attempts what you have done the money out of pocket I'm not sure but good luck

Robsessed98
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Ugh. Idk. Sounds like you've done your part. I'd probably send them an email outlining everything and ask again if they will help you out or if you are now out of a job. If they respond with anything but a solution, I'd take the email and try for unemployment, as well as file a complaint with EEOC. That sucks.
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Yea another poster suggested just keep documenting everything and if they fire me then file for unemployment and wrongful termination.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Ugh. Idk. Sounds like you've done your part. I'd probably send them an email outlining everything and ask again if they will help you out or if you are now out of a job. If they respond with anything but a solution, I'd take the email and try for unemployment, as well as file a complaint with EEOC. That sucks.

Robsessed98
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Any way you could get your other job back? I know it wasn't ideal, but...

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Yea another poster suggested just keep documenting everything and if they fire me then file for unemployment and wrongful termination.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN