Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child support

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
Well I went to court today and it looks like i will be getting $250 a month. More than I expected but I could have got 1,200 in back pay. I really want and need it but my ex has helped out alot since she was born. Even though he probably deserved to pay it because he was verbally abusive through my whole pregnancy. He can be nice, but when the lady asked me I felt pressured and he was like staring me down so I just told her I don't want it because he helped out alot. I'm going to live with his mom in a few days and she's going to let me stay rent free until I save up for an apartment. But still, I can't help regret not a accepting that money. Lol oh well can't go back now. I am broke right now so hopefully my life gets better for me and my daughter.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
allyoremily22
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I was in a similar position. But the truth is, if he can't afford to give that money, having the court order him to doesn't mean it will happen. My ex is currently over $3,000 behind in child support. He is ordered to pay $350 a month plus 50% of child care costs. He rarely ever pays as you can tell. I also lived with his parents for awhile after our divorce rent free. I had his child support ordered to start after I moved out. I was working full time and didn't need it. But he has never paid regularly.... I hope your ex is responsible enough to pay every month. I know what you mean thinking you deserve it because of the verbal abuse. My ex was very verbally abusive as well. Throughout my pregnancy and until I left him. Actually, he still is. But it just doesn't effect me anymore.... Good luck!
nikki666444
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I think he is planning on paying on time but who knows if he will have it. So if he doesn't pay it on time what do they do exactly?  Don't they get like 3 months to pay it?  My plan is to get on my feet and try to distance myself from him.  It just sucks because I will be making minimum wage and I still have to buy a new car.  I should have just taken the money they offered. I wish they would ask in private because he was just staring me down like I better say no lol.  I just don't want to be around him, he gives me low self esteem putting me down all the time.

Quoting allyoremily22:

I was in a similar position. But the truth is, if he can't afford to give that money, having the court order him to doesn't mean it will happen. My ex is currently over $3,000 behind in child support. He is ordered to pay $350 a month plus 50% of child care costs. He rarely ever pays as you can tell. I also lived with his parents for awhile after our divorce rent free. I had his child support ordered to start after I moved out. I was working full time and didn't need it. But he has never paid regularly.... I hope your ex is responsible enough to pay every month. I know what you mean thinking you deserve it because of the verbal abuse. My ex was very verbally abusive as well. Throughout my pregnancy and until I left him. Actually, he still is. But it just doesn't effect me anymore.... Good luck!

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Don't plan on getting that money every month. Do your udget with only your income and is cs comes then consider it extra. Cs doesn't do anything when people get behind in support.

nikki666444
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM

So even if 3 months goes by with no pay they just add it up and you get nothing until they pay?

Quoting cjsmom1:

Don't plan on getting that money every month. Do your udget with only your income and is cs comes then consider it extra. Cs doesn't do anything when people get behind in support.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

When it gets to a certain amount they'll suspend his license and take it from his income tax.

Quoting nikki666444:

So even if 3 months goes by with no pay they just add it up and you get nothing until they pay?

nikki666444
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM

He's a loser he doesn't even have a car lol.  But if I asked for no back pay can I call and tell them I changed my mind or no?

Quoting cjsmom1:

When it gets to a certain amount they'll suspend his license and take it from his income tax.

Quoting nikki666444:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN