Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Kids dad is over $$$$$

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 19 Replies

My kids dad is over $8000 behind on cs payments. Thankfully I was able to get a good lawyer and if he does not pay me $5000 by aug 8, he goes to jail, but he is still getting my kids for his visitation. Should he keep being able to see my kids and try to emotionally influence them while he is not helping to support them? I'm thinking I won't have to worry about this very soon, but I'm sure we will go down this road again. 

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, he still gets to see his kids. Child support is not a ticket to see kids, if you try to with hold them from him for visitation you could end up in the jail cell next to him.

ss_mom_of_four
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It's just so frustrating.....I knew this was true but it doesn't seem right.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My ex was over $9k behind in cs.  I ended up getting garnishments from him - I get a little bit less then what he agreed to every month BUT I am getting paid.  Big kicker is - the judge added 12% to what he already owes.  The moron has every right to see his daughter, but he refuses to. 

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Exactly this.

Quoting krisnkids:

Yep, he still gets to see his kids. Child support is not a ticket to see kids, if you try to with hold them from him for visitation you could end up in the jail cell next to him.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Right now you have to follow your visitation IF it is court ordered. Now IF you two agreed on your own w out the court involved with it you most definitely can. But seeing s you have an attorney My money is on its court ordered.
Talk to that attorney again and change visitation give him less rights and add a stipulation to seeing his kids he can't miss cs payments. it may not go thru but hey its worth a shot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Bump

sunshine389142
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Child support and visitation are totally seperate issues.  At least he is being involved.  I would much rather the father of my child be involved in her life consistently than receive support consistently.  It is all about what is best for the child - and although the money helps, she doesn't feel that.  She feels sad when she doesn't get to see her dad and she misses him and she loves him.  Seeing him makes a much bigger difference in her life than his financial support.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM
He is involved which is positive the issues are separate though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
They are separate issues. If you want the visitation schedule changed then you'll have to go back to court.
woodstock525
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Sorry but child support and visitation are two separate issues.  I just love how the kids are yours when you don't want him to see the children that you allowed him to create with you (making them just as much his kids as yours), but you definitely want to make sure to get your kids dad to pay CS.  If they are your kids  and you don't want him to spend time with them, then why are you so concerned that he pay for your kids?  Sorry....it just defies logic.  Parenting is not a pay to play activity. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)