Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you struggle with depression?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

After my ex and I split up I realized that I was dealing with some issues surrounding depression which, in hindsite I believe started when I lost a pregnancy some years before but which, I think, contributed partially to the demise of our marriage (along with cheating & lying).

I was able to get some help and have been doing well for several years now.

Do you struggle with depression issues?  Have you gotten help?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

With all the crap that my ex put me and our daughter through I'm surprised that I'm not depressed.  I think what has helped me the most is realizing that for many years I was actually psychologically helping myself while being married to my ex.  I was more like a mom to him then anything else.  I think that's what helped me finally realize that my ex will never be a good father or husband.  He's simply a lost cause.  However, I have talked to several divorce counselors at church and with many women that have been through much worse then me.  I think what's helped me the most is the network of friends that I have and those I can turn to talk to.

alexis_06
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

i think technically i do..but..i have never talked to my dr about it, or done anything to try and "help" it...

achavez219
by Abby on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I did (& still suffer at times with it) after my dh died. I tried anti depressants but hated how they made me feel so I quit. I finally seeked counseling a yr and a half after he passed. I have been going weekly for the last 7 months & have noticed a major improvement.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I have anxiety
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pedritosmama
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

If you are religious, you can talk to a pastor (or respective spiritual leader of whatever religion you are) and it helps and is cheaper than paying a therapist.

Finding coping mechanisms is a huge thing I do to help me.  I think of my favorite things in the world (the tv show LOST, cheese fries, soap-making, the Beach Boys).  Those things make me less depressed.  You need to establish some go-to coping mechanisms.  Coping mechanism does not equal "vice." Don't use alcohol, drugs, caffeine, gambling, or sex as a coping mechanism.  Find healthy things you enjoy.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

group hug

kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I do, I was on Wellbutrin for years and got off for awhile. I went back last year and my reg dr gave it to me but it gave me horrible headaches this time so I just stopped. I noticed about a month ago that I was getting it again, tired, let myself go, let the house go, didn't wanna do anything but I didn't realize for a few weeks. I started taking vitamins since the wait for counseling here is 6 months and so far they're working! Or i mightve been about to get over it anyways lol. I get depression around the same time twice a year no matter how good my life's going, it's weird
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I believe I do but it has not been serious enough to seek professional help.
lauraash06
by Ashley on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I do....in fact I just got back on celexa this week. I am trying to beat it, but lately its just hard. No motivation. No energy. My house is a mess. I found myself crying alot. I felt like I was drowning and couldnt keep my head above water. Right now, I'm taking baby steps to try to get better. I let a couple of my closest friends know what was wrong and asked them too periodically check up on me. Just taking things one day at a time.
SAMI_JO
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yes, I have since I was very young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)