Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Have you ever been discriminated against for being a single mom?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 37 Replies
I have. A renter didnt want to rent to me because I had a child. Ive had a potential employer express to me that she didnt like to hire women with children
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sister_Someone
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Just once? 

If I wrote down all the instances in which I've been discriminated against for being a single mom, a teen mom or both, I would have a book. It would be a boring read, but the point stands.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Single mom, the fact that I was a woman doing a man's job (in quite a few different jobs), militay wife, military ex-wife, parent.

So yeah, I've been discriminated against quite a few different ways. Thankfully I now work for a college where my boss is an involved dad, our VP is family friendly and I am happy. 

Saurusmom8
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Oh yeah. To much to even blog about.. sadly.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM

No, I haven't. I've had issues because I was a teen mom and because ds is biracial.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Not that I know of.
meglovesie11
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Not as of yet that I know about
Robsessed98
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I've never been discriminated against in the legal sense of the word. Not renting to people with children isn't discrimination, just like a no pet policy, it's to protect the property from damage. If I was a landlord I'd do it too. As for an employer, it's understandable why they don't like it bc it's pretty much a guarantee that it will affect the employee's attendance at times, but it can't be used as the reason for hiring someone (but it does happen, they just have to use a different reason). I've gotten to the point where I despise that word. Discrimination definitely exists, no doubt, but it is way overblown and misused. It's become the catch-all word to place the blame when people don't get what they want or don't like the end result.
CinnamonBunns84
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Discrimination can occur even if it is not shadded by the law.

The landlord's motive for discrimination was due to the fact that I was a single mother and provided his opinions to support that.

Quoting Robsessed98:

No, I've never been discriminated against in the legal sense of the word. Not renting to people with children isn't discrimination, just like a no pet policy, it's to protect the property from damage. If I was a landlord I'd do it too. As for an employer, it's understandable why they don't like it bc it's pretty much a guarantee that it will affect the employee's attendance at times, but it can't be used as the reason for hiring someone (but it does happen, they just have to use a different reason). I've gotten to the point where I despise that word. Discrimination definitely exists, no doubt, but it is way overblown and misused. It's become the catch-all word to place the blame when people don't get what they want or don't like the end result.

mrsary
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
All the time... mainly judged.
Cenedra64
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM
3 moms liked this
If a landlord allows children with married parents he has to allow for single parents. If your income meets the criteria. I just read off the DOL website the other day. A lot of what people think federal law protects them in work places is just heresay. Federal DOL leaves most things up to each state level. the only thing covered is age...race...national origin...sex...so a lot of what we may concider discrimination is not covered under any laws. Albiet it is discrimination in a shady grey area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN