Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

One bedroom apartment, 2 kids

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM
  • 17 Replies
I have a 2 yr old and a 5 year old. Does anyone know if I can be cheap and rent a 1 bedroom for a year and let the kids have the bedroom while I just sleep in the living room? It sounded promising where I was looking and applied. I want to live as cheap as I can for a year. The lady was worried there may be an occupancy problem, but other than that wasn't too worried. Let me know what you think.
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauraash06
by Ashley on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I have a7yr old and a 14 month old and this is exactly what i do.....in Oklahoma you can have 3occupants in a 1 bedroom. It's very cramped at times, but gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes :-)
s.osborne
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Yea the only problem I would see is occupancy, but it's definitely doable if they allow you to have 3 people in the apartment.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the state, but you should be fine. The law is usuall 2 per room +1. For a year in California I rented a 2 br and it was me and my 4 kids.

chesswoman
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

They just turned me down because of occupancy...sux....I think it depends on the landlord.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

It usually depends on both the landlord and state laws.  Don't give up though, I'm sure you'll find a way.

Quoting chesswoman:

They just turned me down because of occupancy...sux....I think it depends on the landlord.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Usually it's 2 people to a bedroom regardless of your sleeping arrangement.  Logically it's doable, but landlords don't want to get in trouble with the county/city.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Depends it is doable doesn't hurt to try and get a pull out couch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

depends on your state laws.  some are 2 heartbeats to a bedroom.  Ususally though it goes by the landlord.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Yup. That's the rule here in CA. One bedroom max is 3

Quoting krisnkids:

It depends on the state, but you should be fine. The law is usuall 2 per room +1. For a year in California I rented a 2 br and it was me and my 4 kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Are your kids the same sex? I know some states say once a child hits a certainage they can no longer share a room with a sibling of a different sex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)