Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single Momy's /$80 a month for child support

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 81 Replies

To my single Momy's can you live off $80 month for your son/daughter? I'm a single mom and I have a son his father only gives me $80 a month for child support but this is threw us not even threw court. Honestly I cant take this anymore. I don't want to take him to court because of my baby and actually his parents because they have been nice to me and my son but is not fair. $80 is NOTHING. WHAT SHOULD I DO????

He tells me whatever you need to buy the baby we can go half on it, buy it then ill give you the money but I'm not rich if I was i didn't care half of the time I don't have money to buy him his things reason why I'm always asking if hes going to help and it shouldn't be like this I hate asking him all the time. if he would give me a lot more, then I wouldn't have to be bugging him. 

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Go to the courts and have it ordered, court orders protect everyone. No court orders lets the ncp off the hook.

You say you are on good terms with dad, and dad's family. You have until the baby is 18 to be on good terms, many friendships don't last that long, there's no gurantee that this one will either.

FabiolaG
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I'm confused, what do you mean by this.. Honestly I don't want to hurt my baby or his parents in any way neither his dad but he doesn't understand that $80 isn't enough.

Quoting krisnkids:

Go to the courts and have it ordered, court orders protect everyone. No court orders lets the ncp off the hook.

You say you are on good terms with dad, and dad's family. You have until the baby is 18 to be on good terms, many friendships don't last that long, there's no gurantee that this one will either.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Court orders protect you:
Order to reimburse you for monies spent on raising your child. Legalizes the fact that dad is dad. You can ask for primary custody.

No court orders can cause issues:
Dad doesn't have to pay if he doesn't want to. I usually relate it to: would dad pay taxes if he didn't have to? No, so why would he pay child support if he doesn't have to. If you don't have orders saying you are the custodial parent and dad is on the birth certificate, in many states he has just as much rights to the child as you do. He can pick the child up for a visit and refuse to return the child. You would have to go to court to get orders to get the child back.

FabiolaG
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

So you suggest, I should take this to court!?

Quoting krisnkids:

Court orders protect you:
Order to reimburse you for monies spent on raising your child. Legalizes the fact that dad is dad. You can ask for primary custody.

No court orders can cause issues:
Dad doesn't have to pay if he doesn't want to. I usually relate it to: would dad pay taxes if he didn't have to? No, so why would he pay child support if he doesn't have to. If you don't have orders saying you are the custodial parent and dad is on the birth certificate, in many states he has just as much rights to the child as you do. He can pick the child up for a visit and refuse to return the child. You would have to go to court to get orders to get the child back.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Each state has a level of cs ordered.  I believe it all depends on the father's income.  Obviously $80 isn't enough to help raise a child.  If you are able to find out how much money your ex makes or look at your budget and come up with a dollar amount have that sent through c/s.  I would check with your local county's c/s office.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I agree with this. 

Quoting krisnkids:

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

child support isn't for your to live off of.  it's to help cover the costs associated with raising a child in a two parent household.

with that being said.....$80 isn't much but it's more than what some get. 

generally you get a % of his income for child support.  so either show him thelaw where he would vae to pay X dollars through the courts and demand more or just take him to court.

FabiolaG
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

That's the thing I have no clue how much he makes. I know he gets paid twice a month thats it, lives on his own..

Quoting steviechick:

Each state has a level of cs ordered.  I believe it all depends on the father's income.  Obviously $80 isn't enough to help raise a child.  If you are able to find out how much money your ex makes or look at your budget and come up with a dollar amount have that sent through c/s.  I would check with your local county's c/s office.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

you shouldnt live off child support. he should pay half of kids stuff, you the other half. if i were you, id run the child support calculator for your state and let him know how much he will be paying if you take him to court and see if he kicks down more.

FabiolaG
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

That's the thing I dont know how much he makes nor how to calculate how much he should be helping for the baby.

Quoting faerie75:

you shouldnt live off child support. he should pay half of kids stuff, you the other half. if i were you, id run the child support calculator for your state and let him know how much he will be paying if you take him to court and see if he kicks down more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)