Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

help please want to go back to school

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am a single mom of two kids and i want to go to school and make a better life for my babies i know what i want to do i just need help on how to get grants and stuff if someone could point me there :) thank yall

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraMH
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

You need to fill out a FASFA app online. It will determine your eligibility for grants such as the PELL and the other one that I can't think of the name right now :)You have to pick a school first bc you have to enter your school's code. 

Go to the financial aid office and see what scholarships they offer. Also check out the website Fastweb. You make a profile and it matches you with scholarships that you can then apply for. 

Congrats on making this big step and investment into your future! I've been in school for almost 3 years now and will graduate in Dec  2016 (hopefully!!)

barrett4
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
thank you so much for the help I will diff use it and three years almost there :)
LauraMH
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Let me know if you need anymore info!! 

Do you know what you are going to school for yet?

barrett4
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
thank you sweetheart business management
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Good for you. I agree with pp about going to the school financial aid office. While you are there ask about workstudy programs. There are federal work study and campus work study programs you can do so you have some income. Also, avoid the online colleges that promise 'x degree in 18 months'. You can do the same thing at most community colleges for a lot less and not come out in debt.

steviechick
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Excellent advice, ladies! 

I'm going back to school as well.  Working on my BS in business management, so you have a partner in school!  My company is generous to help me with the tuitiion and books.  I was given an advance and if I maintain a C I will get reimbursed for the tuition and books.  It's a win/win for me! 

Shelbypb
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Fill out the fafsa app

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
allyoremily22
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I'm also going back to school! I filled out a FAFSA. And I also applied for scholarships... The school you decide on can help you thru all the financial aspect of it. Good luck!
kngarber
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Pick your school and see the financial aid office.  And yes fill out FASFA.

woodstock525
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Just be careful the school that you pick.  I would recommend a community college that is part of the state system in your state or a state college/university.  There are alot of private 'tech schools' and private 'for profit' colleges (that don't tell you that they are) that will lure you in, promise you alot, and then deliver nothing but a bunch of debt and classes that you can't transfer to a regular college.

If you go to the local community college or state university and visit their financial aid office, they can help to walk you through the FAFSA and scholarship process. I've worked at several colleges, so message me privately if I can help you in any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN