Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Seriously need of help and support!!!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

I need help and advice. It all started when I started dating my ex back in July of last year (2012). After 3 months of dating I ended up pregnant by mistake. NO BASHING!!! After 5 months of pregnancy my ex and I broke up because he was verbally,emotionally, and mentally abusive; he moved another girl into our house while I was away on vacation, he cheated on me constantly and got another girl pregnant. I Moved out and throught my pregnancy and even after he had never bought anything for his daughter. However I wanted to work things out and be civil for my daughter. However, I finally got tired of him treating me like dirt. In my state (Nebraska) if both names are on the birth certificate and there is not custody agreement through the courts a parent can take the child and not give him/her back. Well her father threatened to do this. So I ended up going to court and getting a lawyer so that I could make sure she'd come home to me every night and that he would have to support her with child support since he never did. We'll we went to court and he got every Thursday from 112pm-5pm and every other Saturday from 9am to 6 pm Sunday night, I get my child support as well and I have full physical custody and joint legal custody. Well on his very first visitation I find out (he told me through text) that he did not feed our 8 week old daughter for 11.5 hours and during her 33 hour visit with her dad he only gave her 22 oz of formula( Which she takes 5 oz of formula every4-5 hrs). I was livid. I called my lawyer and asked what to do. He told me to call CPS. CPS told me they don't think this follows their guidelines as neglect (I don't understand how it's not!!) So what I need help on is I don't understand the difference between physical and legal custody and How would you guys handle the father of your child doing this? I'm a first time mom and I'm young. Noone I know has ever been through a custody battle so I am knew to everything.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to live in Nebraska. If it was me, I would call her doctor and tell them and show them the texts. Save those texts. See if you can print them out, depending on your service provider. I know with Verizon the records can be pulled up online. I would call the CPS again and tell them. Also the doctor can report it. I would never let my child be with their father again, court order or not. You have to protect your baby girl and do what you need to do to make sure she's okay!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see how that is not considered neglect. That's crazy
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I agree with MomToNeeners, save your texts.  Also, keep track of how much formula you're sending with your daughter when she visits her dad and note how much is left when he returns her.

Also, talk with your attorney.  Not feeding your daughter is definitely NOT in her best interest.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I agree with all of this.  Based off those texts I'd push for a change in visitation with supervised visits being what I'd go for. 

Quoting amonkeymom:

I agree with MomToNeeners, save your texts.  Also, keep track of how much formula you're sending with your daughter when she visits her dad and note how much is left when he returns her.

Also, talk with your attorney.  Not feeding your daughter is definitely NOT in her best interest.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

group hug

MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting hayliedlr:

I don't see how that is not considered neglect. That's crazy

The state of Nebraska isn't exactly very smart and they have a lot of lazy workers. That sounds bad, but it's true. If a doctor reports it, then CPS will do something.

Don't let your ex threaten you or scare you. I would refuse visitation until he gets supervised visitation. He's a horrible person making your precious little girl go through that! It's unforgiveable! 

Robsessed98
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I agree, except for not letting him have visitation. He can file contempt charges on you for denying access. There's always a change he just said that to screw with you though. Some dickwads think that's cool.

Quoting MomToNeeners:

I used to live in Nebraska. If it was me, I would call her doctor and tell them and show them the texts. Save those texts. See if you can print them out, depending on your service provider. I know with Verizon the records can be pulled up online. I would call the CPS again and tell them. Also the doctor can report it. I would never let my child be with their father again, court order or not. You have to protect your baby girl and do what you need to do to make sure she's okay!

KaileesMommy624
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I am terrified to let her go with him agian next saturday for his overnights. Im so scared shes going to get hurt because he wont feed her. 

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Save the text and apply for an emergency hearing. Ask for him to only have supervised visits.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Why would he admit to not feeeding her for 11.5 hours? Did he not feed the baby at all when she was crying? More so why in the world would he admit this? It is unusual that an unmarried man gets overnights with an 8 week old. Save the texts, get an attorney and ask for supervised visits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)