Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

As a single mom living on my own I have this one big fear...

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 25 Replies
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone else has thought about this. I am a 24 year old single mother of a two year old daughter. I live alone with my child. My parents live far away and I have a brother and a sister who both live in my town but never call to check in on me. I have the biggest fear of something happening to me while i'm in the house alone with my child. For example fainting or God forbid dying and my daughter not able to wake me up! How long until someone notices that my daughter is alone with her fainted or dead mother in the house! I decided to do a test i just had to how she would react. So i acted like i fainted she laughed at first..... then started sayin get up mommy then pulling hair and poking my eyes. I felt so bad i stopped testing her. It will be a horrible thing if that fear actually ever came true. But I pray that it wont ever happen. Ill have to teach her how to call emergency or something.
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRIZZ25
we always talk about "bad moms"what about "bad dads" ?
Yesterday at 1:57 PM
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
well she is kinda young to do that ..teach her about 911 and what to say.i did that wth my dd at that age.do u have nabors or friends.tell em something like if u dont see or here from me for 2 days come to my home or call.and keep ur info name ,address,family info age in ur frig or phone so ppl will know.
Brittanyrb20
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
An excellent suggestion! Yes I have neighbors. They say a neighbor close by is better then a brother far away :) and in my case thats true. I will tell them and put my info on the fridge thanks so much for your reply. Im just worried at all times about the well being of my child. I have to start praying that will help all my anxieties and fears as a mother...

Quoting KRIZZ25:

well she is kinda young to do that ..teach her about 911 and what to say.i did that wth my dd at that age.do u have nabors or friends.tell em something like if u dont see or here from me for 2 days come to my home or call.and keep ur info name ,address,family info age in ur frig or phone so ppl will know.

KRIZZ25
we always talk about "bad moms"what about "bad dads" ?
Yesterday at 1:57 PM
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Quoting Brittanyrb20:

oh i know..i,m single to..give nabors ur info and family's info and do same for them and ur land lord to..and call family at leat once a week to check in ..and tell em if u dont hear from be every week call me and if u cant get me come to my house.same wth work ..we all need keep out for each other.
monkeyprincessa
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I have that fear all the time. i work from home too so not even work would check on me. and we don't have money for a house phone, just my cell that i loose all the time! if anything happens, id be totally screwed :-/
Belovedmoonpixi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I would make it a habit to call one of your siblings daily. That way, if you didn´t call, they´d know something was wrong. You could also call a friend, not necessarily one of your siblings, but DO call daily.

Ecoseem
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a very scary thought, so I figure I'll just do my best to teach ds about emergencies, like if he can't wake me up or I'm not breathing, where to look for my phone to call 911, how to talk to them, etc.

Blue_Spiral
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I have had some health problems and it's terrible living alone with a toddler. 

Luckily my parents are 5 minutes away, but I hate having to wake them up in the middle of the night, etc.

Damn I wish I had a partner lol

JamberK
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Living by yourself with your baby is terrifying.  I have a two year old son and I am constantly worrying about what if I get hurt, or someone breaks in, etc.  I told my parents and my grandparents that if they didn't hear from me in some form or fashion, whether it was texting, facebook, phonecall, etc, over a 48 hour period, to check on us.  And even that still freaks me out because worse case scenario, my child could be hurt or left alone for two days.  I also informed my work that if I ever failed to show up and they couldn't contact me, to contact my family.  It's all about keeping people informed and making sure others are aware of your situation.  

Bribriesmom
by Valentina on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I've made friends with 3 of my neighbors and a single mother of 2 daughter's who love my daughter. The single mother & I stay in contact, gave each other our spare mailbox keys so our mail doesn't build up in the event we leave. It's a matter of trust as well as who you want to know your business.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

This is the thing that gets me too.  someone told me if you hold the number 9 down for an extended time it calls 911 too.  i haven't tested it but at our kids age i think it's easier to remember

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)