Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Depression

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ladies I just dont know what to do anymore. My 10 and 11 year old told me that I worry way too much. Which to be honest, I do. The 10 year old is in a after school program that she is not happy with and I am worried about that. I dont get off of work in time to pick her up so she walks there after school. Whenever I go in to pick her up all of the kids are on the computers and doing activities but she just sits there and doesn't talk to anyone. So while I'm at work my mind is constantly on her and the fact that she is not happy there. I cant change my work hours because I barely get enough hours already. My 11 year old told me last night (not on her own I kind of had to pry it out of her) that boys like her at school. Now I knew that someday I was going to have to deal with this but I told her that I really want her to focus on being a little girl and doing good in school. So last night when they went to bed I got really depressed because I just cant seem to do things right for some reason. They tell me that I talk to them about the same things over and over again and that I worry way too much. I sometimes feel that they would be better off being raised by another mother that could keep it together. I am all over the place. I am on antidepressants but I was told that I have signs of bipolar. I just cant seem to get it together. I cry when I run across the kids baby pictures and it throws me into a depression. I have even been missing their dad so much that I think about him so much more and that even makes me sad. My life here on earth is one sad case after another. I have such a hard time trying to take care of myself so its that much more harder trying to take on other things. I have to take sleep aids to help me sleep sometimes because all night my mind goes from one worry to the next. How can I stop this? Please help me. I am going crazy! I just dont know what to do.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Individual and family counseling is a start. Please consider it and try to find someone who will work with you so you do not lose any hours at your job.

Listen to your children when they need to talk. Their dad is not there anymore you are all they have and you have to make yourself strong. If you fall they will have noone.

Mamatfox
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I can relate to where you are, and I am so sorry for you.  I too have an 11 year old who struggles in school and seems unhappy.  It is extremely hard being a single working mom.  You need to be kind to yourself and realize you can only do what you can do.  It is inevitable that you are going to fail your kids.  Make sure you reassure them constantly that even though you are struggling, everything is going to be ok. Empower them by listening to what they are telling you and make changes according to their requests.  You don't realize how strong you are until you HAVE to be.  Your kids need you!  Use that as motivation to keep going. 

I agree that counseling would be extremely beneficial.  I see one and it helps a lot.  I realize time and money can be a reason for not seeing a therapist, but if it means being healthier for yourself and your children then you need to do it. 

Also, I couldn't get through my day without having faith in God to see me through each and every struggle. Surround yourself with good people and good things.   

Hang in there Mama... you will be ok! 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Lots of hugs if you can talking to someone may help maybe you need an adjustment on your dosage too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Being a single mom isn't easy. Would you be comfortable with letting your girls be home alone after school? Listen to your girls when they want to talk to you. I also recommend having an in depth talk with both girls about sex.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

group hug

steviechick
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

If you can't afford to see a clincal psychologist there are many churches that offer free counseling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)