Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

would you still date a guy if your kids don't like him?

Posted by   + Show Post
My kids dad and I broke up about 2 years now. I'm dating a new guy who loves my kids like his own. Now we live together and I'm starting to see he is getting too comfortable. My 5 year old daughter doesn't like him and my 2 year old son is ok but sometimes when we go to the store he doesn't want him to touch the basket. We were engaged for a few months but I called it off since we were having problems. Now I'm wondering if I should stay with him because I don't want to be with someone if my kids are uncomfortable with him. I NEED HELP!!!
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
xixCandyxix
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't let a 2y/o and 5y/o dictate my personal life. They are young, they will come around. If my kids were older in this scenario I might consider their feelings more. They are too young to know the difference right now though.

otoole
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

i was thinking the same,, what do you mean he has gotten to comfortable. it sounds like you yourself aren't fully happy with this. kids sense things and kids come first. take a break from him and see how you and the kids really feel without him.

Quoting alisheamonet33:

i would take the klids oput just you and them and casually ask ther feeling abt your bf, beacsue i stongly think that  kids see what we cant always see . so based on that coversation i would make my desicon off of that .. ? what do you mean he has gotten to comfortable ?

alisheamonet33
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

oh my sorry for all the typos !

Quoting otoole:

i was thinking the same,, what do you mean he has gotten to comfortable. it sounds like you yourself aren't fully happy with this. kids sense things and kids come first. take a break from him and see how you and the kids really feel without him.

Quoting alisheamonet33:

i would take the klids oput just you and them and casually ask ther feeling abt your bf, beacsue i stongly think that  kids see what we cant always see . so based on that coversation i would make my desicon off of that .. ? what do you mean he has gotten to comfortable ?

otoole
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this

i am bad at grammer too. so no worries :)

Quoting alisheamonet33:

oh my sorry for all the typos !

Quoting otoole:

Quoting alisheamonet33:

Robsessed98
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM
It depends, why they don't like him? I'm confused here. A new bf that you live with and broke off an engagement with? How long have you been together?

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to your oldest and find out why she doesn't like him. Kids don't like change and she may be worried about "losing" you or there could be something about him she doesn't like.

Misha1204
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

Your kids are very important take a step back and evaluate. Your 5 year old will influence the little one. Talk to her find out why she doesn't like him

cboutain
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Well its going on 3 yrs since their dad and I split. I asked my daughter why she said he's mean just don't like him. She wants her dad back, which he told me he wants to try again but I want to see change from him before I do. Plus he has a baby on the way and that will be hard to get over. I realized that I am moving to fast because I was lonely and he was helping me out a lot before we moved together when my bd was acting stupid. My bf been knowing each other for a year and dating for 7 months. I say he's too comfortable because sometimes when my daughter ask me for something and I tell her yea then she tells him and he would say no thinking that she lied. I really got on him about that.
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

deal breaker for me in red.

you arent over your ex, so you shouldnt have a boyfriend that serious. maybe date, but no live in fiancee type of thing.

Quoting cboutain:

Well its going on 3 yrs since their dad and I split. I asked my daughter why she said he's mean just don't like him. She wants her dad back, which he told me he wants to try again but I want to see change from him before I do. Plus he has a baby on the way and that will be hard to get over. I realized that I am moving to fast because I was lonely and he was helping me out a lot before we moved together when my bd was acting stupid. My bf been knowing each other for a year and dating for 7 months. I say he's too comfortable because sometimes when my daughter ask me for something and I tell her yea then she tells him and he would say no thinking that she lied. I really got on him about that.

beachbum74
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I think it depends on why they don't like him, are they jealous because somebody else is taking away their time with mom? My daughter didn't like my ex and he turned out to be an abusive jerk so I trust her instincts now! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN