Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

The pharmacy told me my birth control was discontinued??

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

I was taking Loestrin 24 fe in an attempt to control my severe cramps and low back pain that is constantly bugging me. I went to pick up my refill today, and the pharmacy told me they were discontinued?? Any one heard of this???

I am quite upset over this...

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Misha1204
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I'd be upset, too! Did the pharmacist recommend anything similar? Did you run out?

misha-coffee lover

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I am completely out. All they said was they'd call my doctor tomorrow, but I'm calling him as well. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I hope the doctor can get another prescription filled for you or you will have to wait for a refill.

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Yeah one of my BC pills were discontinued too a few years ago, they just replaced it with a comparable brand.  I didnt even notice a difference.  

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

that's sucks

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I work in a pharmacy and I assure you it had nothing to do with the pharmacy. The manufacturer of that birth control has stopped making it which means your doctor needs to write you a prescription for a new birth control.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

But why would they give me all sorts of answers as to why my pills weren't in? I had to push for a true answer.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I work in a pharmacy and I assure you it had nothing to do with the pharmacy. The manufacturer of that birth control has stopped making it which means your doctor needs to write you a prescription for a new birth control.

Spendant
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Hi!  Sorry to hear about your issue!  I work in a pharmacy as well.  I JUST found out about this drug being discontinued as well and was SHOCKED! We still have some in stock, but I found out about it because a Pt. insurance denied the claim stating that it was an obsolete drug(not in those exact words).  I then checked our order screen for it and it was no longer available!  I don't know why we don't get told these things, it's just "BAM! guess what you can't get anymore!?".  (If someone told us, I certainly wasn't in on it).  So, I tried calling the manufacturer and they were closed and when I got home tonight, I researched what was going on and this is what I found out.

Manufacturers website

http://www.wcrx.com/index.jsp  Click on Loestrin 24 Fe pic when it flashes on the bottom of the screen.

and it takes you here:

http://www.loestrin24.com/loestrin/

It then tells you it is no longer being manufactured and "Click Here" takes you here:

http://www.minastrin24.com/index.jsp

Sadly, we do not have the internet at work and I was not able to tell the lady anything except call her insurance and MD.  It's really awful that I couldn't tell her anything except "It looks like its been discontinued, Ummmm yeah...."  Makes me seem like I haven't worked there for 10+ years.  Luckily, she was on Courtesy Refill and had a week to go.  I was able to call her to get her started on the journey of getting something else before she was out.  Whooo!  

Oh, and the crazy part is, I looked up the "NEW" BC on the ordering screen and it shows on the list, but its not even in stock yet at our wholesaler!!!

We don't get told things in a timely manner, Insurance does whatever it wants, Manufacturers do whatever they want, and people don't understand how things work in the pharmacy (unless you work there).  Believe me, I try very hard to get things explained and find out what is going on!  :)  Good Luck!  It is best to always call your stuff in 5 days ahead, just in case something like this happens.  Cause ya never know!

Peace!

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for explaining this to me in detail! It's very upsetting that I need to start a new pill.

Quoting Spendant:

Hi!  Sorry to hear about your issue!  I work in a pharmacy as well.  I JUST found out about this drug being discontinued as well and was SHOCKED! We still have some in stock, but I found out about it because a Pt. insurance denied the claim stating that it was an obsolete drug(not in those exact words).  I then checked our order screen for it and it was no longer available!  I don't know why we don't get told these things, it's just "BAM! guess what you can't get anymore!?".  (If someone told us, I certainly wasn't in on it).  So, I tried calling the manufacturer and they were closed and when I got home tonight, I researched what was going on and this is what I found out.

Manufacturers website

http://www.wcrx.com/index.jsp  Click on Loestrin 24 Fe pic when it flashes on the bottom of the screen.

and it takes you here:

http://www.loestrin24.com/loestrin/

It then tells you it is no longer being manufactured and "Click Here" takes you here:

http://www.minastrin24.com/index.jsp

Sadly, we do not have the internet at work and I was not able to tell the lady anything except call her insurance and MD.  It's really awful that I couldn't tell her anything except "It looks like its been discontinued, Ummmm yeah...."  Makes me seem like I haven't worked there for 10+ years.  Luckily, she was on Courtesy Refill and had a week to go.  I was able to call her to get her started on the journey of getting something else before she was out.  Whooo!  

Oh, and the crazy part is, I looked up the "NEW" BC on the ordering screen and it shows on the list, but its not even in stock yet at our wholesaler!!!

We don't get told things in a timely manner, Insurance does whatever it wants, Manufacturers do whatever they want, and people don't understand how things work in the pharmacy (unless you work there).  Believe me, I try very hard to get things explained and find out what is going on!  :)  Good Luck!  It is best to always call your stuff in 5 days ahead, just in case something like this happens.  Cause ya never know!

Peace!

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Chewable birth control??? That sounds horrible. I'll mention it to my doctor though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)