Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Can I move with my son from Illinois to another sate without his dad permission ?

Poll

Question: Can I legally move with my son from Illinois to another state without his dads permission ?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

I'm getting married to an active sailor and I have a 1yr old son with another man, some days we are okay and some days we are not. He changes his mind a lot because he doesn't want me to move on. Can I move with my son and then make agreements with his dad to take him on vacations and holidays ? Or will I get In trouble.. Also we were never married and he is on my sons birth certificate. 

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM

If the custodial parent moves away, then it is the custodial parent's responsibility to get the child to and from the non custodial parent's area for visitation. Courts have quite often ordered this, why should the person who is not moving away have to reap the consequences?  

Quoting cupcake_mom:

If they give him visitation it is up to him to get to his son and back or get his son to him and back not the other way around! The custodial parent is not in charge of transporting for the non custodial patent.

Quoting krisnkids:

Sure you can move, but dad can run to the courts and request that the child be immediately returned to the state. In other words, it can look like you are trying to run with the child. Go through the court system, request primary custody with a long distance parenting plan for the child. Expect to pay all transportation costs, which yes, that would included dad's ticket because the child is too young to fly by his/herself.

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
That's not how my court order worked and neither did ANY of my friends. It was/ is up to the non custodial parent to establish a relationship and visits with their child no matter where they live. that is what the courts told me

Quoting krisnkids:

If the custodial parent moves away, then it is the custodial parent's responsibility to get the child to and from the non custodial parent's area for visitation. Courts have quite often ordered this, why should the person who is not moving away have to reap the consequences?  

Quoting cupcake_mom:

If they give him visitation it is up to him to get to his son and back or get his son to him and back not the other way around! The custodial parent is not in charge of transporting for the non custodial patent.

Quoting krisnkids:

Sure you can move, but dad can run to the courts and request that the child be immediately returned to the state. In other words, it can look like you are trying to run with the child. Go through the court system, request primary custody with a long distance parenting plan for the child. Expect to pay all transportation costs, which yes, that would included dad's ticket because the child is too young to fly by his/herself.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM

http://family.findlaw.com/child-custody/child-custody-relocation-laws.html
(specifically the 3rd paragraph under visitation schedule)

In terms of increased travel costs, some states require a 50-50 split in increased fees, while other states may require the party who is moving to incur most of the transportation costs related to visitation. Again, because the laws vary greatly from state-state, it may be necessary to contact an experienced child custody attorney in your area who can help you learn more about the child custody laws in your state. - See more at: http://family.findlaw.com/child-custody/child-custody-relocation-laws.html#sthash.rkjZFJ6z.dpuf

http://www.netplaces.com/divorce/being-parents-after-a-divorce/details-details.htm
(specifically the 2nd paragraph under Distance Complicates Logistics)

Quoting cupcake_mom:

That's not how my court order worked and neither did ANY of my friends. It was/ is up to the non custodial parent to establish a relationship and visits with their child no matter where they live. that is what the courts told me

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I don't click on random links.

Quoting krisnkids:

In terms of increased travel costs, some states require a 50-50 split in increased fees, while other states may require the party who is moving to incur most of the transportation costs related to visitation. Again, because the laws vary greatly from state-state, it may be necessary to contact an experienced child custody attorney in your area who can help you learn more about the child custody laws in your state. - See more at: http://family.findlaw.com/child-custody/child-custody-relocation-laws.html#sthash.rkjZFJ6z.dpuf

http://www.netplaces.com/divorce/being-parents-after-a-divorce/details-details.htm

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Then do your own research. Laws vary by state, counties, cities and judges. Dad in this case would be well within his rights to ask the courts to order mom to pay transportation costs because mom is creating the distance.  

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I don't need to research anything thanks. I got my court order and of the op wants true legal advice then she can research herself or call a lawyer. I gave my experienced response and that was it

Quoting krisnkids:

Then do your own research. Laws vary by state, counties, cities and judges. Dad in this case would be well within his rights to ask the courts to order mom to pay transportation costs because mom is creating the distance.  

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

if there is no custody established, you likely can. but i wouldnt move a kid away from an active father for a man ive only been with that short of a time.

if the father comes to an agreement with you then you should get it legal. also, since you chose to move, you would likely end up paying travel expenses. unless father is cool and fronts half.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

um, no its not if she chose to move.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Then i guess the judge that gave me my court order and the judges that gave my friends their orders are ask wrong......and so was my lawyer.......

Quoting faerie75:

um, no its not if she chose to move.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

yea really, thats some bullshit. dude has to pay child support AND pay to transport the kid because mom wants to move? thats not cool. we wouldnt have that kid if the dad didnt "help out". dads matter. too many kids out there with no dad. now, if dude is a dead beat, fuck him. but an active father shouldnt have to bend over and take it in the ass around mommy's wants.

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting krisnkids:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN