Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I move with my son from Illinois to another sate without his dad permission ?



Question: Can I legally move with my son from Illinois to another state without his dads permission ?




Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

I'm getting married to an active sailor and I have a 1yr old son with another man, some days we are okay and some days we are not. He changes his mind a lot because he doesn't want me to move on. Can I move with my son and then make agreements with his dad to take him on vacations and holidays ? Or will I get In trouble.. Also we were never married and he is on my sons birth certificate. 

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Replies (41-45):
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Check with an attorney. Illinois tends to favor fathers. Good luck.

Quoting springbabyface:

No he does not, we have not gone to court for any reason he is just on my sons birth certificate.

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I have moved twice with my daughter out of the state she was born. But my dd father is not on the birth certificate. But since he is going back and forth I would speak to a lawyer. All states are different. If you did not have a legal custody agreement through the state then you have equal right both you and the father( at least in the state I was in) this means that he could literally just take him and the police won't intervene because there is no legal documentation. So that being said good luck. I would talk to h I'm serious of what is best for the child and put aside the feelings of the adults. Is he stable in the child's life? There are many questions. Most likely he will be free and clear and most men would like that. But some fight on it. You can always write up a agreement and get it notarized after you both sign it. 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I would def go through the courts first. I know that he can go to the courts and request you to come back to the state that is your child's 'home state'. If you ex is anything like mine he will def have you brought back to state, kinda why I dont leave state. I would just double check before leaving.

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I would consult a lawyer some offer free consultations its a touchy subject that is state by state
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Yes. Move away. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)