Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Does my babys babysitter sound like she's over stepping her boundaries?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 39 Replies

My 9 month old DD has started with her babysitter, whom has been a family friend for years. First two days, she was fine. Today, she cried on and off the whole time, and when I picked her up, the babysitter told me that when she's at home, to stay away from her as much as I can, especially when she cries. She said "She needs to learn to be away from you. You're only hurting her, not yourself, by always being near her."

I will NOT leave my daughter to cry (fit throwing is different...I'll let her calm down in her crib while I sit nearby, not looking at her, until she chills out), and after not being near her for hours a day, I'm not going to just let her sit alone.

She also has decided not to consult with me before doing anything with my daughter, such as taking her for a drive, giving her new foods, or (gag) rubbing green onion on her gums to "help with teething". She also has been caught using tap water and not the bottled water for my daughters bottles, and doesn't measure, just fills and pours in a random amount of formula. In the past, when she watched DD, she was told to call me at any time to ask for permission to take my daughter somewhere or if she could give her something. Why she thinks its a free for all now is beyond me.

I pay. Her $70 weekly, which is great, but that doesn't mean she can do what she wants. I begin school  again this Friday, and I am completely ready to drop going back if the babysitter gets out of hand. 

I plan on speaking with her about this tomorrow...how would you feel if your babysitter was like this?

oh, and to add: 

The other day she said DD was crying, so she took her for a car ride. I leave her car seat with her every day, but she decided to take DD and sit in the front seat with her and drive around. I nearly ripped her head off when I heard.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I would find a new babysitter. You might have to keep her for now. Would you have time to look after school starts? If not can you handle the babysitter for this semester?
jamamama00
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM
You need to find a new sitter like, yesterday.
brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Quoting diaperstodating:

I would find a new babysitter. You might have to keep her for now. Would you have time to look after school starts? If not can you handle the babysitter for this semester?

I'll have time to look, as I go from 8am-12pm. I can deal with her only until I can get something else set. If the talk tomorrow goes sour, I will not go back to school (I'm already licensed, just will be going deeper into things) and I will keep her home while I find daycare, then work (my parents are helping me...I'm blessed). 

Oh and today, she also told me that if I don't stop her from crying, she said "What's going to happen if you move and put her in daycare? They're going to call you and force you to pick her up because they won't deal with that."

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

You leave her car seat there but don't want the sitter taking her in her car? $70 a week is chump change, you get what you pay for. As far as letting her cry and leave her alone? You put her in her crib but sit by so she can calm herself down? Not knowing all the background I think I would have to agree with your sitter from that statement, babies cry, they will live. They do not have to be attached to your hip 24/7.

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm an in home care provider too but that does stop my daily life. If i need to go to the store the kids must go with me. I'm not going to put my personal life on hold when they can just come with me. As far as leaving her alone, i think she meant more of, " don't pick her up just because she cries because you walked out of the room"
OP she is charging you way less than she should and you complain about these petty things? What is wrong with tap water? What is wrong with her taking her for a ride? Other than the front seat thing. You are being a bit crazy here

Quoting krisnkids:

You leave her car seat there but don't want the sitter taking her in her car? $70 a week is chump change, you get what you pay for. As far as letting her cry and leave her alone? You put her in her crib but sit by so she can calm herself down? Not knowing all the background I think I would have to agree with your sitter from that statement, babies cry, they will live. They do not have to be attached to your hip 24/7.

steviechick
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I think you are over reacting about your baby.  You aren't being charged that much to watch your baby.  What the sitter is doing isn't considered wrong to me.   I think if you pull your baby away from this sitter you will have the same 'problems' with other sitters.  You need to learn to adjust to this sitter.  She's not that bad.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

She knows she can take her for car rides, but I want to be informed that she is taking her somewhere before she does. And just because I pay $70 a week does NOT give her the right to do as she wishes without consulting with me first. 

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

And the tap water? I will not give my infant tap water. She gets it straight from the sink, even though I give her PLENTY of bottled water.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to find another provider then. I used to run a daycare out of my house, if I had a parent with the issues you are having with your provider I would politely request that she find another provider.

Tap water won't kill the baby, bottled water is held in plastic, which is questionable if it's good for a person, not to mention it's terrible for the environment.

melissanoel
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think she's overreacting at all. I agree that she's not paying her much, but the woman accepted that amount. If she's going to watch her child she needs to abide by her wishes. Taking her in the car without a carseat is against the law and just common sense. If that's the best she can do I would not trust her to watch my kid another second.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN