Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Canning

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 11 Replies
My best friend and I are going to try our hand at canning this weekend. Does anyone on here can? If so can you give me some ideas about what we can can? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vbway
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I like to can baked beans and soups (pressure canner needed). In the summer I usually can peaches and jam (lots and lots of jam). I usually stop on the side of the road and pick tons of fruit. We have lots of loquat trees growing here and it make great jam, especially if you add calamondin's or another citrus. 

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Pickles..  I don't can them but my grandma did

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I would like to do canning, but don't really know the first thing about it.

sallij
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I would start with jams and salsa. They can be done in a water bath canner and are fairly simple.
steviechick
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I would think it's easy to can jams, pickles, or anything else that stays in a bottle before/after it's consumed.  I've never canned before so I'm guessing.

mmpdrs07
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I just read a thing online yesterday saying if you had extra room and jars while canning that you should can water.  It's sterile and keeps almost forever, and if ever you have a power outage or anything like that your not out of water.  I thought that was a neet idea.

me_plus3
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Ok call me ignorant but what is a pressure canner? I'm new at this and from what i remember my mom never used one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM

bump

sallij
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM
A pressure canner is equipment used to can low acid foods. It allows the temperature of the food to get higher, killing the nasties that could be harmful.

Quoting me_plus3:

Ok call me ignorant but what is a pressure canner? I'm new at this and from what i remember my mom never used one.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I don't but here's a bump for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)