Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Babysitting for $75.00/week? There's a catch..... **PIOG** UPDATE: Interview

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 30 Replies

So I've been looking for a job for a while and I found a job posting online for a lady needed a babysitter for her son. He is 7yrs old and goes to my son's school and the family lives about 10-15 mins from me.

The issue is the woman is needing care from 6am-8:30pm Mon, Tues, Wed. and all day Sunday. I know beggars can't be choosy BUT $75.00/week doesn't seem near enough for that many hours or does it?

I have an interview with her tomorrow at 3pm so we'll see how it goes

I'm going to ask about the amount of hours on Sunday and depending on that, I'll ask about negotiating the pay to at least $80 if not $100.00 a week.

UPDATE: So the interview went well. She seems nice and laidback. Her son wasn't home at the time. The Sunday hours are the 14 hours straight from 6am-8:30pm. I asked if the pay was negotiable and she said it depended on her budget. She rents the home from an ex-boyfriend who moved out of state and she has a male roomate. Expectations are minimal as his clothes are already picked out the night before so all I have to do is get there and get him up around 7:30 and dress him or help him get dressed then we're out the door. He also needs a snack and maybe light help with homework so not bad at all. She needed my SSN, driver's license # and full name to do a background check and a driving record check which is understandable.
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

6:30- 7:45 in morning before school is 1 hr and 15 minutes a day. That equals 3 hr and 45 min a week.

After school typically is 3 or 3:30 until 8:30 so that's 5 hours a day for 15 more hours.

Then Sunday is 14 hours and 30 minutes.

Lower estimate is 30 hours a week. That averages $2.50/hour. Not even close to reasonable. Especially if you have to take him and/or pick him up from school, cook dinner, help with homework, etc.

MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM

You need to look around your area and find out what the normal rates are for that age group.I pay $125 a week because my daughter is 16 months.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM

If she needs child care for that long, she either needs to pay more or go find a daycare. Either way, that's a tiny amount. I'm going to be switching my daughter from her babysitter to a daycare here soon, but I pay the babysitter $70 weekly to watch her 4 hours a day.

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Well like SoPoetic pointed out and I forgot even though I mentioned it lol is that the little boy is in school so it would be from 6am (drop him off at school) and then get home around 4pm. So it's actually only about 5 hours a day I think? Minus the all day Sunday care

Quoting brittybby2010:

If she needs child care for that long, she either needs to pay more or go find a daycare. Either way, that's a tiny amount. I'm going to be switching my daughter from her babysitter to a daycare here soon, but I pay the babysitter $70 weekly to watch her 4 hours a day.

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Thanks for adding that up! :D What would you ask for if you were to take this job?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

6:30- 7:45 in morning before school is 1 hr and 15 minutes a day. That equals 3 hr and 45 min a week.

After school typically is 3 or 3:30 until 8:30 so that's 5 hours a day for 15 more hours.

Lower estimate is 30 hours a week. That averages $2.50/hour. Not even close to reasonable. Especially if you have to take him and/or pick him up from school, cook dinner, help with homework, etc.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM
75 $ a week is standard for my two year old all day five days a week in my area.
lazyd
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Gosh, most babysitters ask for a MINIMUM of $5 an hour if not $10 an hour.  IF you are watching this kid before and/or after school - at your home or his??  Will your child(ren) get along with this kid?  If you have to drive - this will not cover gas, even if it such a short distance.  If your watching this kid at your house, than you will have to feed this kid, is she going to buy you food??  Or if you guys are at his house, and you and your child(ren) have to stay there for dinner, will she be buying enough to feed you and your kid(s)?  Is this a single mom??  If NOT where is the dad in all this??  Or could dad be around to watch him on Sunday?  

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Maybe $20/school day for $60. Then maybe $40 for all day Sunday for a total of $100/week sounds more than reasonable to me.
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM
If hired I would most likely watch him at their home. So I'd probably leave my home around 6, stay there until about 7:45 or 8, leave to get my son and drop then both off at school OR bring my son with me and then drop them both off at school around 8:30.

IDK about any of the other information. She just moved here to NC from GA and she didn't mention a husband so I'm assuming a single mom?

How much would you ask for per week?

Quoting lazyd:

Gosh, most babysitters ask for a MINIMUM of $5 an hour if not $10 an hour.  IF you are watching this kid before and/or after school - at your home or his??  Will your child(ren) get along with this kid?  If you have to drive - this will not cover gas, even if it such a short distance.  If your watching this kid at your house, than you will have to feed this kid, is she going to buy you food??  Or if you guys are at his house, and you and your child(ren) have to stay there for dinner, will she be buying enough to feed you and your kid(s)?  Is this a single mom??  If NOT where is the dad in all this??  Or could dad be around to watch him on Sunday?  

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM
How would you negotiate the price?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Maybe $20/school day for $60. Then maybe $40 for all day Sunday for a total of $100/week sounds more than reasonable to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN