Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Can he get away with this?

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am from MA.....My daughter's father and I were never married. We are currently going through a very messy legal battle. My lawyer and his lawyer have just exchanged financial statements to determine child support. His was two weeks late. Come to find out, he was fired from his job. My brother was the one who got him this job so he spoke to my daughter's father's ex office manager and they believe he intentionally got himself fired because he stopped doing work/showing at the exact time I told him I hired a lawyer. He was fired two weeks from when he found out I was taking him for support. Can he get away with getting himself fired from his job (mind you hes not looking for another one) when he is very capable of working, just to avoid supporting his daughter?

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidlover2
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM
In NY state, that wouldn't fly. He would be told to get a job and if he refused he would eventually end up in jail.
RJC78
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Several states have a law that says the NCP  pays CS based on what they have the ability to make, because of guys doing this exact thing.  Good luck!

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Wouldn't fly in Wisconsin. They'd determine child support in his last job (what he's capable of making). They'd also put him in Fathers First and make him find a job.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM
He can't not work forever it'll catch up to him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Most places will base CS on what he COULD be making if he had a job. They do the same for women that decide to be stay at home moms.

pedritosmama
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You can still get support if he doesn't work.  You can ask that his wages be calculated at minimum wage, 40 hrs/week.  People do it all the time. I'm surprised your attorney hasn't suggested it.  You can't avoid paying support on a child you made.

KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM
in va u have to pay or it will back up and u can go jail..he can play that game but u cant do that behind bars .
Asherfranksmom
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:15 AM

In MA they will send him to jail,if he doesn't pay!

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM
around here if they have already determined the amount to be taken from his check until another cs order is made up it stays the same. say you're supposed to get $200 a month and if he gets one, his next job makes less, and he doesn't go try to plead for lower payments due to his lesser wages every time he doesn't pay $200 you make note and take him for back pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Yes he can, but he just making it worse, he gonna be behind , he gonna owe alot. But he have to eventually find work, who gonna support him? He might try to find a undertable job? They pay him straight cash, undectable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN