Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

CS hearing... *Updated*

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a Child Support hearing on Monday... I'm not sure what to expect as this is the first one.. Can anyone tell me what I might expect to happen at this hearing? We've already done the DNA testing and all... idk what happens next.

Updated - Went to Homerville for court.. Waited for X to get out. He said they took him and all other people for child support to another room. He was given a paper that says he is to pay $264 a month ($122 twice a month) but it doesn't start till November. He also pays online. How does that payment get to me?

He also says that until that starts he will give me $50 every two weeks to help out.

As far as visitation, it didn't come up in the hearing, and he said that he would tell whoever that he and I are working out visitation on our own.

I feel like things might be getting better now... Like maybe he's finally stepping up and doing what he needs to do to be there for his daughter.

~Amanda~

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosewind13
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

The judge will look at your incomes and decide what a reasonable amount of child support would be for him to pay and court order him to pay it. He will tell him where to send the checks and what day's he is ordered to pay by and tell you when you will get the money either from the CS office or the courts. He will go over the consequences of not paying, and if visitation hasn't been established he will probably order that as well. It should be pretty simple.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

This..... 

Quoting rosewind13:

The judge will look at your incomes and decide what a reasonable amount of child support would be for him to pay and court order him to pay it. He will tell him where to send the checks and what day's he is ordered to pay by and tell you when you will get the money either from the CS office or the courts. He will go over the consequences of not paying, and if visitation hasn't been established he will probably order that as well. It should be pretty simple.

amandacr1026
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I think my main concern is about the visitation at the moment. I'm willing to let her go see her daddy every other weekend but for the time being, I am jobless and he will have to drive both ways... We are about to move and as soon as we get moved I will be looking for a job and when that happens we can split driving.. but does the judge have say in that? if we've already discussed it would the judge just go and change it?

amandacr1026
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM

BUMP!

mmpdrs07
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Usually it depends on how far away you are from the other parent as to who drives.  I have my first hearing Tuesday and I know he wont show.  My ex is a real piece of work to say the least.  

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Good luck!

amandacr1026
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

He lives in Homerville, and we live in Albany.. 2 hour drive... We are moving to Athens... I'm not sure but I think it moves up to a 5 or 6 hour drive.

Quoting mmpdrs07:

Usually it depends on how far away you are from the other parent as to who drives.  I have my first hearing Tuesday and I know he wont show.  My ex is a real piece of work to say the least.  

~Amanda~

mmpdrs07
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

You may have to meet half way I don't know what your state laws are.  I think in Texas if your over 100 miles you have to meet half way.  Not positive but I think that's the way it is.  

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Child support and visitation usually are handled separately
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Is your court date set to handle both visitation and support? The judge will look at both your incomes and pick an amount for child support. As far as visitation you can tell the judge the two of you worked something out. I know a lot of the time parents meet halfway or one drives for drop off and the other for pick up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)