Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What would you do?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 17 Replies

So... If you were working a schedule at work that was working out perfectly for you. Going in at 6 AM and getting off at 2:45 PM. You have been doing that schedule for 5 months. Your child/children have someone to get them to daycare on time (that opens at 6Am and closes by 5). Said person that takes them to daycare for you works 8-5:30 but isn't home until 6:30 because their job is far away. So, you are able to get your own child from daycare as you are back in town to get them by 3:45 (again, this job is a long ways away as well). Well, your job decides there aren't enough people working during certain hours and wants 9 people to voluntarily give up their early morning schedules. 20 names were randomly picked by the head office in a completely different state. These 20 people are pulled into the office and told about the situation and were told we have to have a decision by Wednesday of who wants to volunteer for a later schedule (that we have in front of us on a piece of paper). You just know that this schedule isn't going to work for you. The hours to choose from are 10:30am-7:15pm and 11am-8:45pm. Getting the child to daycare is obviously not going to be this issue. The issue is having someone there to pick up the child/children and watch them until you get home. You only know 5 people in town, they are your mom, brother, sister-in-law, boyfriend and cousin. Brother works all day and goes to school at night. Sister-in-law sleeps all day and works at night. Cousin is a loser and can't be trusted due to alcohol and drugs. Mom works 12 hours - she needs time to sleep. She works 5AM-5pm, so daycare is closed. Boyfriend works until 5:30, and this is NOT the boyfriend's child. You have only been with this guy for a year.

Would you voluntarily give up your schedule? What would you do if you did? Would you be pissed off at someone that stated the same scenario in the meeting and refused to volunteer release of current hours? 

Just a side note... If no one or not enough people voluntarily change these hours, they are randomly picking people to do it. So, I'm not entirely in the clear. I just wanted my situation known to the managers as to why I'm not volunteering it. But apparently someone thinks my reason is bullshit. That I have no idea what it's like to be a single mom and no one to fall back on. The person saying this to me is a single mom like me as well, but she doesnt have a boyfriend and thinks I should pawn my son off on him just so I can work later to save her ass from having to take a later schedule.

EDIT 9/10/2013

So, they forced me to change my hours... The schedule I was forced to was 11:30am to 8:15pm... The best they could do for me was get my schedule traded to 8:30am to 5:15pm.. Still going to hurt as I have no one from 5pm-6:30pm (6:30 at the latest if I don't have to work over or traffic issues) to watch my son...

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't do it unless forced
amandacr1026
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would stand my ground about my schedule. At the same time you could also be on the lookout for potential babysitters to just pick your child up and watch him until you can pick him up..

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I wouldn't
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalYaris
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I didn't mention the fact that my boyfriend is out of work until further notice. He passed out at work Tuesday morning an hour after he got there. Now, next week he is going into surgery to have stent put in his heart. He already has a pace maker. Is it really wise to fall back on him to watch my son? I don't think so. The girl belittling me thinks I can still do it.

MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't because you have children. It's one thing if you can make it work, but if you can't you shouldn't be held responsible for your employers lack of planning. Also don't let anyone guilt trip you!

CrystalYaris
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The girl that insulted me has a child as well. She can get up at 3:30AM and drop her child off at her mom's. Plus her child's father gets her every other weekend. I don't even get that luxary. But, no.. I don't understand what single mom's go through because I have a boyfriend unlike her. My son is 3, her daugther is 10. Her mom has her daughter before school and after school. I have a daycare to work around.

Quoting MomToNeeners:

I wouldn't because you have children. It's one thing if you can make it work, but if you can't you shouldn't be held responsible for your employers lack of planning. Also don't let anyone guilt trip you!

CrystalYaris
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

My son's father isn't in the picture period. No child support and no visitation. He refuses to show up to court, refuses to get a paternity test.. I have no idea what single moms go through.. none at all... I'm just being so ridiculous in my simple request to get my name off the list.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't volunteer. Ignore your coworker because she's being a B**** in order to try to get others to volunteer so she won't have to switch.

Christenrenee
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Doing it is a bad idea.  Have you tried talking to your job and explaining your situation?

CrystalYaris
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I did. After the whole up roar. If push comes to shove they will attempt at swapping schedules for me. But someone has to be willing to give up their schedule. They are given certain hours to hand out to make sure there are enough people on the phones during business hours. We have to bid on schedules every so often. Instead of making us bid this time, they want 9 of us to voluntarily give our spot up for a later schedule because not enough people are on a later schedule to handle call volumes. They knew this, so I don't understand why they didn't have those schedules on the bid a month ago when we hired more people.

Quoting Christenrenee:

Doing it is a bad idea.  Have you tried talking to your job and explaining your situation?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)