Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hire a babysitter for my teenagers?!

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hello all,

My girls are 17 and 18 and fight every time I go to work. My job is a 48 hour shift once a week. Their dad refuses to help at all. I had my oldest put me on speakerphone and I told them both to knock it off, stay away from each other and go to bed. I am thinking that I may need to hire a babysitter to have an adult presence in the house when I am gone. This is ridiculous and should not even be an issue but obviously it is. I don't know what else to do. I have no family or friends (outside of coworkers). Any ideas?

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Bump
heretolisten
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM

You need to teach them maturity and consequence.  If they fail to behave maturely and treat one another with respect as siblings, they lose something of great value to them.  They will continue to behave the way that they are as long as they are allowed to.  They don't need a sitter.  They need hard lessons. 

Solo_Fan
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM

I agree

Quoting heretolisten:

You need to teach them maturity and consequence.  If they fail to behave maturely and treat one another with respect as siblings, they lose something of great value to them.  They will continue to behave the way that they are as long as they are allowed to.  They don't need a sitter.  They need hard lessons. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I agree with this.  They will be leaving the house soon and will not have any babysitters out in the real world!

Quoting heretolisten:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Do they have any friends they could spend the night with?
amandacr1026
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would be tellling them to find jobs. find somethint to do. Go be productive. Too much time on their hands so they fight? can't force them to stop. One day they'll see its stupid..

mrsary
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
OT... what's your job & how do you stay awake 48 hrs straight??
iamsunflower
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Do what you need to do as they parent, my 12 year old and 4 year old fight all the time and I swear it's just to drive me crazy lol.  But at 17 and 18, it may be that sibling rivilary that keeps rearing it's ugly head when you're gone. But if it gives you peace of mind to hire someone, you do what you need to do.

Rkbemti
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Quoting mrsary:

OT... what's your job & how do you stay awake 48 hrs straight??

Ambulance

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

They are way too old to need babysitters. How about they act right or have everything taken away?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)